MAY BUY A VERY RARE REM 7MM-06 ONLINE, WHATS THE VALUE?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
700DUDE

MAY BUY A VERY RARE REM 7MM-06 ONLINE, WHATS THE VALUE?

Post by 700DUDE »

Found this on Gunbroker.com #235373943 Its a Rare Remington "Bolt action"....700 in actual 7mm-06 (280 Rem). I'd love to have it in my collection but im not sure about the value. I called Remington to get some info on it and they said only 200 actually left with 7mm-06 on them. They already knew about the gun I was calling about. They told me they had contacted the guy and was trying to trade/buy the gun for Remington's Museum. Is this gun that rare? What's the approximate value of this piece?
Last edited by 700DUDE on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wulfman

Re: MAY BUY A VERY RARE REM 7MM-06 ONLINE, WHATS THE VALUE?

Post by Wulfman »

700DUDE wrote:Found this on Gunbroker.com #235373943 Its a Rare Remington "Bolt action"....700 in actual 7mm-06 (208 Rem). I'd love to have it in my collection but im not sure about the value. I called Remington to get some info on it and they said only 200 actually left with 7mm-06 on them. They already knew about the gun I was calling about. They told me they had contacted the guy and was trying to trade/buy the gun for Remington's Museum. Is this gun that rare? What's the approximate value of this piece?
The "value" will be whatever someone actually pays for the gun. That's how value is established.
As noted in the description on the auction, it's been significantly modified and is not "original". The most glaring modification being the synthetic stock........those weren't available back then.

I think if Remington REALLY wanted it, they could afford to buy it......at whatever price it would take to get it.

Hope that answers your question.......since you've posted it at least four times in various sections of the forum.

Den
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

7mm-06 is a 208 Rem??? I don't think so....
700DUDE

Post by 700DUDE »

ooops, my bad. Let one finger get ahead of the other. But I think you know what I meant.

On the value, I do realize its "whatever someone will pay"... However on this particular rifle the stock isn't that big of an issue is it? I think I can find the correct stock from 1978 on ebay or at a gun show for around $50-75 cant I? Same thing with stock sights from back then. Everything else seems to be really nice. Anyway the only sale that I have found was the other one on gunbroker that sold a while back and it had the correct stock but was missing the sights. That one sold for around $1900ish.

I was just hoping with the wealth of knowledge about Remington's that should be in this forum someone was aware of a recent sale of one of these.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Well, I see the bidding price has about doubled since this thread started. It may turn out that the "Buy it now" price of $1500 may have been a good deal. It's probably not unusual to spend that much or more on a gun from Remington's Custom Shop.

By the time and expense a person would put into making it "correct", it's still not completely "original"........as it came from the factory.

It all depends on what a person wants.......wants it for.......and is willing to spend for it.

I have a 7mm Exp. Rem. in BDL attire. It was another of Remington's marketing/manufacturing screw-ups......just not as rare as the 7mm-06. Mine has a short throat which means I can't seat the bullets out as far as I'd like. I paid about $300 for it 19 yrs. ago.

Den
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

I would love to know the barrel date code. My 7mm-06 has the latest date code of all that I have seen and heard about. Don't have the serial number handy either. Mine is not mint, but she's complete and I paid no where near any of the prices on that auction. You can bet I'll be looking tomorrow.
700DUDE

Post by 700DUDE »

thanks for the advice, I called him this morning and asked and he told me it was a RQ and he said that was November of 1978. Im trying to confirm that, if so wouldnt that be a pretty late one?
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Nice. He even added a picture of the date code to the auction. I still have it beat! Mine is XQ for December '78. Every other one I know of is dated November.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Well the 7mm-06 is not that terribly rare. When I bought mine several years ago I bought it from a guy that had several of them NIB and I know of at least two other guys that have at least a couple. They were all recalled because the public was getting the round screwed up with an already existing wild cat round. Very dangerous. But when the recall notice came out people started packing them away or customers started buying them and hoarding them. Remington already has some in there Illion plant. I find it very hard to believe that they are taking the time to chase one down because they don't give really 2 sense about Remington history. It doesn't make them any money. Compared to what's sitting it storage at Remington the 7mm-06 is a joke.

Billy
700DUDE

Post by 700DUDE »

Yea he said he was going to add the date to it when I talked to him. On the "guns not that rare"... Really??? If that gun was anything else it would bring $300. Less then 200 is what I call rare. The lady I spoke too at Remington acted like they only got back 60-70 guns in the recall, so that makes it even rarer. When the guy told me Remington had called I thought he was full of shit until the Remington people confirmed it. Im afraid it will hit the "buy it now" since the last one on gunbroker sold for almost $2000. I guess we will know tonight.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Well then buy it. It seems 200 is way low. To be honest I don't think they know for certain how many there are. I know with the 6mm rem mags the theory was thrown out there that they were not suppose to leave the factory, but some were snuck out by employees. I can give you where abouts of at least 5 others not counting mine, and see them on gunbroker every third month. Not counting my 7mm-06 there's at least another one on this forum alone and you mentioned the other one that just sold. I will bet you my rifle the 200 number is not 100% accurate. It tells you something also that if they are trying to buy this one and they already have one sitting on the shelf they may need to do a kittle more research.
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

700DUDE wrote:Found this on Gunbroker.com #235373943 Its a Rare Remington "Bolt action"....700 in actual 7mm-06 (280 Rem). I'd love to have it in my collection but im not sure about the value. I called Remington to get some info on it and they said only 200 actually left with 7mm-06 on them. They already knew about the gun I was calling about. They told me they had contacted the guy and was trying to trade/buy the gun for Remington's Museum. Is this gun that rare? What's the approximate value of this piece?
Its sold now. Did ja buy it?
700DUDE

Post by 700DUDE »

nope... I missd it. We had a family thing going on when it closed. I did call the guy to tell him if the winning bidder didnt want it I'd take it for the same price. He told me that arrangments had already been made, and that Remington Arms Co. was the actual buyer. So it appears I really missed out on a steal. :cry:
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Makes me feel good :mrgreen: . I didn't even pay shipping for mine and it arrived in a cheap but nice hard case. :P
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Makes me feel good because that thing sold for hundreds more then what I paid for mine and mines all original. There will be another on gunbroker soon I bet.

Billy Smith