Remington 660 Trigger Recall

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dhenzler

Remington 660 Trigger Recall

Post by dhenzler »

I am just sick at what Remington did to my beautiful 660. It is simply beyond belief that a manufacturer could do this and get away with it. I read in one of the forums about buttering of a stock in the process of the trigger recall. But asked my nice Remington rep about it prior to sending it back for work. I am not through with Remington yet. A big company like that needs to take responsibility when they screw up.

http://24.172.105.90/z/660/index.html

I have attached a rather comprehensive web page about the rifle... and here it is... comments are welcome!

If any of you have a 660 stock that you will sell... let me know. I will likely replace this abortion!

Dave
dhenzler

Re: Remington 660 Trigger Recall

Post by dhenzler »

This Trigger Recall work gets worse by the minute. I was picking up an 1100 shotgun from my local gunsmith Stumpies Guns in Swansboro NC, and wanted to ask about the cost to repair the screwed up huge hole behind the cut for the safety on my 660. I mentioned how the new trigger felt pretty crisp, but the pull seemed harder than what I had asked them to set it for... a quick check with the gauge showed it at over 5lbs.

After shooting it this afternoon I decided that 5lbs was not conducive to small groups or varmint hunting accuracy... too much pull. So removed it from the stock to find the trigger adjustments had been epoxied over to prevent any attempt to adjust.

After I scraped myself off the ceiling I took some photos which are included in my complete 660 expose...
http://24.172.105.90/z/660/index.html I hope you are careful when dealing with these people. Although my experience with my sales rep has been great... their gunsmith work at B&B sucks to put it mildly and now... after seeing this horrible job. I am ready to scream.

The original trigger was fully adjustable, and the replacement should be as well. You want to prevent it from drifting, a little blue glipt works fine, and can be easily removed. Once removed Rem can say... you changed it... we're not responsible.

This is UNACCEPTABLE
dhenzler

Re: Remington 660 Trigger Recall - UPDATE

Post by dhenzler »

Remington agrees to replace the epoxied trigger and pay for a replacement stock. My service representative was more helpful than their historian who attempted to get me to accept $100 towards a replacement stock. As many of you know... factory original stocks for these guns are few and far between. Most people who own one are trying to keep them in original condition.

I may have made a mistake by having the trigger recall done. The trigger isn't original 70's any longer, but it is a better trigger with the ability to open the bolt with the safety engaged. Photos of the original trigger make me believe that the bolt lock mechanism could have been disabled by removing a portion of the safety plate. Why Remington choose to replace the entire trigger is beyond me.

The work being done as I write is NOT at the Illion NY plant. The "premier" repair center is PADACUH shooters supply in KY. I'll post follow up photos of the repaired rifle upon receipt.

View the photos on-line at http://24.172.105.90/z/660/index.html

Dave
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Somewhere, I once saw a picture of a hack job done to a 600 in the early stages of the original recall. Out of all my 600s, only one had had the recall done before I received it. After seeing the aforementioned picture, I consider myself lucky that the same guy didn't do mine! What I remember seeing was a chainsaw hack-job to "relieve" the area around the trigger. Mine was done by someone who cared what it looked like afterwards and, although there is more clearance, it looks good. I will also police myself in regards to the trigger and NOT get anymore done.
olskool

Post by olskool »

I like my 660 and 600 Mohawk just fine the way they are, I have enough sense not to point a loaded gun at anyone.
Dave

Post by Dave »

My shooting buddy sent his 600 in for the recall. The result was even worse than yours. When it came back it had a considerably larger "hole" and they didn't even sand the area they hogged out, much less put a finish coat of whatever on it. It had raw wood where they hogged it out. The trigger was so heavy you could barely pull it. He ended up putting the old parts back in and buying a new to him stock. If anyone is considering having the recall done, my advice is DON'T!
dhenzler

Re: Remington 660 Trigger Recall - FINAL

Post by dhenzler »

The work being done as I write is NOT at the Illion NY plant. The "premier" repair center is PADACUH shooters supply in KY. I'll post follow up photos of the repaired rifle upon receipt.

Well people... not so good. The Paduch shop manager is a Pompus piece of work, and argued with me regarding what I had requested.... a 2lb pull. I told him that I had written instructions requesting them to call me if for ANY reason they could not comply. Apparently they can't read. Took me calling to find out status to get anywhere with the process. I told them to ship it back. But they had it apart, and put the magazine back together wrong. So when I went to sighting it in, it was impossible to use the magazine.

So I figured if I have to take it apart again...may as well do the trigger work. See photos on my web page. http://24.172.105.90/z/660 The newest photos are at the bottom.

Acetone and Naphtha are good to help dissolve the epoxy. I used an eXacto blade, and a bronze brush to scrape away at the remaining epoxy and a dental pick to clean out the screw heads.

If anyone needs more info... just write me shoot@ccskeet.com