Serial number on 1899 Remington Lee Sporting Rifle

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Billinoregon

Serial number on 1899 Remington Lee Sporting Rifle

Post by Billinoregon »

I have a standard model of this interesting rifle chambered in .30-30. I have disassembled the rifle in search of a serial number and can find none. The only numbers I find are "452" stamped on top of the bolt body after the bolt guide plate is removed. Is there anywhere else I should look?

Wind River

Re: Serial number on 1899 Remington Lee Sporting Rifle

Post by Wind River »

Hi Bill in Oregon -

Gene Myszkowski, the author of the book on the Remington Lee rifles, replied to my post with a similar question recently - he said that he has observed other sporting rifles without the serial number in the correct range of approx. 75,000 to 76,500. Apparently Remington did not serial number all of them. The numbers you found are similar to the ones I have, which are just assembly numbers on the bolt. Your stock looks correct to me on the butt stock and wrist, but it almost looks like someone carved the schnable portion off the forearm?
Billinoregon

Post by Billinoregon »

Wind River, I have Gene's book, too. Yeah, I am wondering what happened to the schnabel as well. As you might guess, the stock there is so thin it has splits. The bore on this rifle is pretty poor, too, but I'll fire some jacketed loads through it before giving up on it.
Wind River

Post by Wind River »

It looks like it has seen some good, honest use. I have an 1895 Winchester in 30-40 with a rough bore, that is very accurate with jacketed bullets, so I would not be surprised at all if it shoots well.