Rolling Block ID

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles

Rolling Block ID

Post by Guest »

Hello all, I found this site through another gun site I frequent. I recently got a Rolling Block from my grandfather and would like to see if I can find out a little more about it. I was told that it was made by E. Remington and Sons and was in .45-70. I was also told that it was manufactured for the Indian Army. Most of the info is worn off on the stock, including the manufacturer, but the last patent date is 1874. The markings on the barell have been "crossd out". Can anyone tell me the model? All I can find from the book I have (Standard Catalog of Firearms) is that it is a military rifle (there is no photo of this in the book). I beleive it is, comparing it to the other models' photos and descriptions. Judging from these photo's, how would it rate? What might be the value? any info is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

T Jackson

"Indian Army" R/B

Post by T Jackson »

The majority of these R/B were chambered in 11mm Spanish caliber. You state that the markings on the barrel have been crossed out. The Egyptian model had lots of Egyptian writing on top of the barrels in front of the receiver. If yours has unidentifiable markings on top of the barrel I would suspect that it was originally chambered for the Egyptian cartridge. NONE of these early R/B's had caliber markings on them. The only way to be sure what cartridge it takes is to make a chamber cast.
T Jackson

"Indian Army" R/B

Post by T Jackson »

PS It appears from your photo that the rear sight elevator is missing. This is common with the more recent surplus Egyptian R/B's. They are frequently missing their firing pins too as they were supposedly used as training rifles in Egyptian military schools.
69veewee

Post by 69veewee »

T Jackson,

Thaks for your reply. This is my post, although I originally posted as a guest.

It is missing a screw on the rear sight, but I'm not sure about the elevator. I am pretty sure that the firing pin is intact, but I will double check tonight. I will also take and post photo's of the markings on the barrel.

Also, what do you mean by "more recent surplus Egyptian R/B's"? my grandfather purchased the rifle at an antique store sometime in the 1960's, if that helps.

Do you (or anyone else) have any idea what the value might be? I will never sell it, but I'd like to know. Thanks again for the reply. This forum seems pretty quite most of the time! I will post again tomorrow with more pics and and update about the elevator and firing pin.
T Jackson

"Indian Army" R/B

Post by T Jackson »

I'm not real sure of the time frame but someone imported Egyptian R/B's 10 +/- years ago. These were missing rear sight elevators and firing pins. Egyptian R/B's were imported in the 1960's and '70's also. Value would depend almost entirely on condition. Some people, like me, put more value on more obscure calibers. Others prefer more common calibers like the 11mm Spanish. Bore condition is very important to someone who wants to shoot them. As a guess ( without having the rifle in hand) the value would be somewhere between $300 and $500.
69veewee

Post by 69veewee »

Thanks again. It is missing the elevator, but the firing pin is intact. I did not get a chance to take photos of the barrel, but the characters do seem to be "crossed out" to me. There are two lines through each symbol or letter. I will get photos this weekend. Thanks a lot.