The New Collector's Guide of the Military Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
glayrem

The New Collector's Guide of the Military Rolling Block

Post by glayrem »

THE NEW COLLECTORS GUIDE TO REMINGTON MILITARY ROLLING BLOCK RIFLES OF THE WORLD by George Layman AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SHIPMENT ON JANUARY 15th 2010!

SEE IT AT THE LAS VEGAS SHOW JANUARY 15 to 17, 2010 at the MOWBRAY PUBLICATIONS -Man-at Arms- Table
or
Order from: GEORGE LAYMAN
102 Southwind Drive
Wallingford, CT 06492

for details Contact georgelayman441@yahoo.com
ChuckD

Re: The New Collector's Guide of the Military Rolling Block

Post by ChuckD »

Mr. Layman,

I received your book earlier this week. I haven't had a chance to read it all, however the first two chapters make it worthwhile for me. It helped me identify a couple of Rolling Blocks I inherited.
I have a cut away that I thought was just a Model #5 smokeless action, It turns out that it has the Day's ejector.
I would recommend "Remington Rolling Block Military Rifles of the World" to anyone interested in "The Remington System'"

ChuckD
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

Dear Chuck D,
I thank you for your for comments on the new book, and nothing is more encouraging than knowing that it works!! I hope you enjoy it immensely, and perhaps you may wish to become a "regular" collector in the future! Thank you again Sir, and have a wonderful New Year!
George Layman
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I just got a copy of the book, and although I've only owned Rem. Sporting Rolling Blocks I found it a wonderful source of info! Great illustrations, and lots of technical info (which I really appreciate!). A bargain at the cover price of $39.99!
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

Marlinman,
Thank you so much for the compliment! Sorry that I cant accomodate the Sporting end of RB's, but Roy Marcot does it nicely and knows so much more about those than I ever will! By the way for the information of those who have the book, I finally came upon the rest of the missing Kiangnan Arsenal documents, and we now know that the 520 made at Tientsin between 1878 and 1880 were a Centerfire version!! Also all the Kiangnan made versions made after 1884, were also produced in Centerfire as well.....cartridges for both were a coiled copped cartridge with soldered base, and if any cartridge collectors know of some thoroughly unknown .52-70 rim or centerfire ctges, they MIGHT be for these Chinese produced versions of the Remington RB. I am now working on obtaining a full box of such cartridges out of the old North Vietnam/Laos region from sources in the area.
When the time comes to do a revised edition AND when the green flag to expand the current edition is raised, I will have more new data recently discovered on the Far Eastern, and Latin American sections. Thank You All for your kind words on the new book.......
Best,
George Layman
P.S If your looking for a Chinese Military RB, Australia is the place to be!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks for that additional info George! I'll print this out and slip it into my copy!
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

My pleasure Sir!
George
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

I have thoroughly enjoyed my copy as well. I did make me a little envious to see the Danish Engineer carbine with aluminium cartridge box in stock illustrated. :mrgreen: I bought that from www.lauritz.com in Denmark around 2003 or 2004 before they clamped down on shipping antique guns overseas. Decided I did not want to shoot it and sold it to Tom Jackson. :oops: But Tom is a serious collector and I just like to learn about and shoot the things so I have a constantly changing collection of shooters.
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

I can assure you he was pleased you sold it to him but take heart as I have the same feeling because the other one shown was once mine and have not found another since...and mine went to Tom in 1998! On the plus side having the pleasure of knowing 99% of those RBs I sold went to Tom or my cousin Jude, I always said if I did another book on the RB someday,at least I will know where they are to capture them on film.......boy was that my greatest judgment call... which really puts the screws to any of that 20-20 hindsight business!!
George
ROLLING BLOCK

Post by ROLLING BLOCK »

Mister George Layman sir, Many many thanks for your latest book on the Remington rolling block rifles. You have been a legend in my gunroom ever since I picked up your expanded edition of 92 around five years back. I have just received your latest book via an american friend residing in New Zealand and find it totally amazing in content and description of the variants of rifles. This current book is a Musthave for anyone interested in the Remington rolling block military rifles and you are to be congratulated for your effort in producing a fine and informative book. Many thanks from a New Zealand collector of Remington firearms of the earlyears. ps may I contact you on the email address on this forum in regards to two Remington made military rolling block rifles that I have? pss if you are talking to Joe Puleo anytime soon, please give him my personal thanks for his input into my rifle on the Rem forum and for the recommendation of your book. Kindest regards from a totaly satisfied New Zealander.
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

Dear Rollingblock Sir,
I wish to convey my deepest heartfelt appreciation for your kind words to such a loyal fan who has follwed my writings from way back when! Thank you so much for your candor,and hope my research has benefitted you and the entire Military rolling Block fraternity. As always, I never consider myself an expert as all who observe my works share the same degree of knowledge after reading my contributions....I will tell Joe Puleo you have asked for him, but I'm sure he has since read your encouraging words! Thank you Sir and my hats off to you, and every reader!
With Deepest Regards,
George Layman
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

Dear Rollingblock,
Say I was in a rush yesterday whnn replying to your letter (I always seem to be on weekends!) but yes, by all means contact me at your convenience on those questions you have and I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory reply! You know its amazing that the Military Rolling Block was such a favorite in New Zealand as so many Americans for years had little idea that substantial quantities of RBs and other Remingtons too, had such a popular following, "East of Down Under." If you ever get a chance, try to find out if any of the Chinese made Kiangnan or Tientsin Arsenal produced rolling blocks rifles are in circulation over your way. I know Australians brought the lions share back from the Allied Relief Expedition in 1900, many courtesy of the Victoria Naval Contingent, but I wonder if New Zealnd ever saw some reach their shores. Anyhow, Joe and I are much obliged for your highly invigorating observations, and recomendations of the new work! Take care my good Sir.....

George
ROLLING BLOCK

Post by ROLLING BLOCK »

Sir George, many thanks for your consideration of my questions [remaining unanswered ] on my rolling block rifles. I will get some clear pics and email them through to you for your perusal. As to the chinese made rifles, I have not seen one here as yet. I have been collecting firearms for over forty years and , Remington specific, for the last twenty. I would hazard a guess that there are none here but, who knows?. Most of the rolling block rifles in NZ are of Swedish make and mostly CG. Once again many thanks for your input and information on rolling block rifles. I will bet that a great many questions have been answered by your new book, for a great number of people, and hope this book finds a home in many countries of the world, as did the rolling block. I am forever in your debt Sir George. Will be in touch soon with pics. Kind regards, rolling block.
glayrem

Post by glayrem »

Thank you Sir for the reply and we'll be in touch!
George L.
ny50/70

Post by ny50/70 »

Sounds like a great book, it is going on my Christmas list.