7mm Roller

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
marlinman93

Re: 7mm Roller

Post by marlinman93 »

jon_norstog wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:37 am This is a very interesting thread! I have a Mexican roller that I bought mail order when I was 15. You could order one with an "extra good bore" for a few dollars extra so I did that. Like a fool I butchered it into a "sporter" but that's what everyone did back then. It has always been an accurate gun, but I did get case stretch and limited brass life.

I have to say I shot some pretty strong loads in that rifle, including the VERY accurate, post-war FN military loads. I had to sometimes hit the block with a stick to get it to open! After reading all this I probably will count myself lucky and not do that again.

I do think the #5 action would make a pretty decent black powder gun, and it's got a way better trigger than the #1.

jn
Either trigger can be greatly improved with a .045" piano wire trigger spring to replace the original spring. I buy piano wire at Winks Hardware down on 3rd and Stark.
The case life can also be much improved by not full length resizing it after firing in your Roller. Simply neck size it when reloading and it will give you a lot longer life.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

"The case life can also be much improved by not full length resizing it after firing in your Roller. Simply neck size it when reloading and it will give you a lot longer life"

It is essential NOT to full legnthg size the case as you will then get the newer dimensions that lead to wrong head sacing and danger as mentioned in Geoge Laymans book.

As I have said in earlier osts, I fireform my cases by starting with low loads to get the correct dimensions for the rifle. If you fully size them you will be back to square one.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Pretty sure that's what I said? "not to full length resize"
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Yes you did but not for the reason that I mentioned.
tbird1960

Post by tbird1960 »

About 35 years ago I bought a 7 mm Roller and when I first saw it I thought it was a reproduction. It looked brand new and after looking close at the markings I bought it. It looked unfired and I took some 7mm norma brass and loaded it up like the Lyman book said and shot it. I found out why it was for sale. The case expanded about half way to the neck and looked kind of oval. It extracted but was difficult and I never fired it again. I figured it was too dangerous. The only way to fix the problem was to rebarrel it and it was not worth the expense at the time.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

I don't suppose that you still have that rifle. If you have, look at the posts on the previous page in this thread. You will find useful information about preparing cases for loading.