Identifying a rolling block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
smithrem1

Identifying a rolling block

Post by smithrem1 »

Hello—

I have a rolling block rifle with an octagonal barrel from my family's estate. There are no marks on the receiver, just a serial number on the bottom of the barrel: 54932 (the 9 might be an 8). The other mark is "32" which runs perpendicular to the barrel, just above the serial number.

If anybody can tell me, I'd like to know which model it is, and a date range. It may be a youth model because it is small. The barrel is a bit over 23 1/4" long.

Thank you,
Derek
marlinman93

Re: Identifying a rolling block

Post by marlinman93 »

Not really enough info to determine which model it is. Does the rifle have both upper and lower tangs? If it doesn't have a lower tang then it's a #4. But if it has both then it could be any of several models. If it has a lower tang look closer and you should also see a serial number repeated near the tail of the lower tang. Remington marked them there on models other than the #4.
If you can post a picture it will make ID much easier!
smithrem1

Post by smithrem1 »

Thanks for the extra info. It just has the top tang. I am attaching photos of the receiver area.
Attachments
top-of-receiver.jpg
top-of-receiver.jpg (268.55 KiB) Viewed 14150 times
receiver-right.jpg
receiver-right.jpg (424.95 KiB) Viewed 14150 times
receiver-left.jpg
receiver-left.jpg (404.35 KiB) Viewed 14150 times
bottom-of-receiver.jpg
bottom-of-receiver.jpg (335.17 KiB) Viewed 14150 times
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, it's a #4 Rolling Block Sporting Rifle. And also unusual that it's the non takedown variation. Most I see or have owned are takedown versions.
smithrem1

Post by smithrem1 »

Thank you. Do you have any idea what the date of manufacture could be?

By the way, since you say it is unusual, it must be really, really valuable, right? :D
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd need some more info to determine approximate age. Like the exact barrel rollstamp, and if it's a steel forearm cap, which I suspect it likely is. A serial number with the last couple digits x'ed out would help too.
Most #4 Remingtons have little value, especially in .32. A solid frame is interesting, but doesn't add value really. If someone collected these #4 rifles they'd want a solid frame example to complete their collection, but probably would be looking for a high end specimen. I personally prefer one like yours that shows normal wear and was used by someone who loved it.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

In the UK, because of our strange licensing laws and the fact that a .32 rimfire can be owned with no formality, they fetch good money. The only one advertised over here is priced at £750.

I have and shoot one. It was originally sold by ' L&W Mc Cartny' in Dunedin, New Zealand. It is solid frame (not take down) no forearm cap and the serial number is 125614 and the barrel address is 'Remington Arms Co.Ilion NY'.

I load my own .32 rim fire ammunition and it shoots well.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

That address should read ... 'A&W Mc Carthy, Dunedin'
Attachments
Mc Carthy advert 1894.jpg
Mc Carthy advert 1894.jpg (43.14 KiB) Viewed 14064 times
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

It is my understanding that #4's with solid frame
were early manufacture. The take down models
came soon afterwards. First take downs used a
screw and later ones used a lever.

Value should not be determined by what people are
asking for them. Some people have unrealistic ideas
of firearm values. One should look at gun auction
sites and scan completed auctions to see what they
actually sold for. Also, the value of a particular firearm
in one country has little relation to value in another
country.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
smithrem1

Post by smithrem1 »

The rollstamp is "Remington Arms Co. Ilion, NY" The serial # is either 549## or 548##. Knowing the general value would be nice, but I don't intend to sell it, but keep it as a family heirloom. The only other family rifle I would love to have had was the .30-.30 lever action my Grandmother used for hunting. Unfortunately, she leaned it against a tree during one hunting trip and walked off without it. They went back to look for it but never found it. I actually used it on stage in my high school production of Annie Get Your Gun (back when one could actually keep a firearm on school grounds so one could go hunting right after classes). There are a couple of other interesting family guns, but that 30-30 was the only one I really wanted. Oh, well…

Thanks for all your help with the information on this #4.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

The #4 was introduced in 1890, and the solid frame was the first variation. It was replaced by the takedown in 1900, and from your serial number I'd guess yours to be a later 1890's gun.
Values vary a bit, but antique status of your gun adds a little value. The .32 Long RF detracts from the value, so probably a wash there. I'd guess if I saw it for sale at a gun show and it had a good bore, I'd expect to see about $300 on the price tag, and sell for somewhere around $250-$300. If it was an equal .22RF version with a good bore I'd expect it to be another $100 higher.