Hybird Carbine?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
billt

Hybird Carbine?

Post by billt »

I have recently run across a carbine that seems to be a hybrid of a Remington 1867 Navy carbine and an 1870 Springfield carbine. Everything in front of the receiver is from a Remington 1867 carbine with the exception of the front sight, which is slightly different. The barrel has the anchor mark on top and a slot in the bottom to accommodate the ejector. There is a FCW cartouche on the right forearm. The barrel band has a sling swivel attached and the band spring is on the bottom of the forearm.
The front sight is mounted in the same place on the barrel and is the same size but the folding leaf is different.
The rest of the gun seems to be from a Springfield 1870 carbine. The receiver has the Eagle / USN / Springfield / 1870 marking on the right side. The ejector is an arm on the left side of the receiver, which is actuated by the breechblock. The breechblock is flat where as the Remington is concave. The stock is 13 ½ inches long, which is 1 inch longer than the Remington.
The butt plates look the same but the Springfield has the US stamped on top. The Springfield has is a sling swivel on the trigger guard and one on the barrel band where as the Remington 1867 carbine had one on the barrel band and one on the bottom of the stock. It seems odd that the sling swivels would be located so close together.
I initially thought that this might be a trials carbine but now I think it may just be a put together gun.
I have attached some pictures for comparison. In the pictures with two guns the top one or the one on the right is the Remington 1867 carbine.
I welcome any comments about this carbine.

Bill
Attachments
PC080002.JPG
PC080002.JPG (3.17 MiB) Viewed 2405 times
PC100008.JPG
PC100008.JPG (3.2 MiB) Viewed 2405 times
PC100007.JPG
PC100007.JPG (3.03 MiB) Viewed 2405 times
billt

Re: Hybird Carbine?

Post by billt »

More pictures of the hybrid Remington/Springfield carbine.
Attachments
PC100012.JPG
PC100012.JPG (2.8 MiB) Viewed 2401 times
PC080003.JPG
PC080003.JPG (2.94 MiB) Viewed 2401 times
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Years ago Dixie Gun Works sold 1867 Navy carbine barrels, carbine forearms and the carbine barrel bands. The hybird carbine is made from the parts that were sold by Dixie Gun and put on the receiver and buttstock off of a 1870 Navy Rifle. That is why the hybrid Carbine has a sling swivel on the trigger guard. The 1867 Navy Carbine had the extractor at the bottom of the chamber on the barrel, the 1870 Navy Rifle had the side extractor on the side of the barrel. Who ever put the carbine together had to mill the side of the carbine barrel to taken the side extractor.

Have A Great Day,
Matt
ehull

Post by ehull »

Sad to see such a nice M1870 frame and buttstock put to such use by “bubba” to make a carbine!
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, thankfully it is just a bunch of parts - as I first skimmed through the post quickly I was dreading seeing that someone HAD messed up an 1870 Trials carbine.

That would have been a REAL tragedy since they are SO scarce. I have managed to acquire six of the eight pieces in the 1870 "set", lacking the Remington (SUPER rare) and Sharps (possibly non-existent) carbines.