Light Baby Carbine, Really like some help on this one.

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

Image[/img]I Have been through my books and all the online info I can find. The possibility that it is in 46 Long Rimfire may indicate it is one of the supposedly 20 +- that were sold to Columbia, per George Layman's book, Pg. 169. There are pictures on the earlier posts that should help. The Deep Crescent butstock if original which it appears to be is also an identifier. The matching production numbers g78479 on the up/lower tang also should have some value. Any opinions or possible help from some of you experts really would be appreciated.
DSC_0516.JPG
DSC_0516.JPG (167.96 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
Attachments
DSC_0514.JPG
DSC_0514.JPG (186.25 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
DSC_0511.JPG
DSC_0511.JPG (145.02 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
ehull

Re: Light Baby Carbine, Really like some help on this one.

Post by ehull »

The two-line tang marking clearly dates this gun to circa 1870 - well before the 1880s Light Baby Carbine.
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

I know the carbines with the term "Light Baby Carbines" Was not used as such until after the late 1888 change of ownership. I am really trying to figure out a way to establish what is the origin of this beautiful old roller. The only info I can find on a 46 Long cal is about 20 that were shipped to Columbia in 86 by SH&G. So what the heck is it? And where did it come from? Will the numbers on the tang have any info to give up? I have other photos in the threads from the last few days on this subject rifle. I'm really at a standstill. I have the breechblock soaking in Kroil as the Firing Pin is snapped off at the bolt face, and the screw is rusted and frozen, and will not budge. That is what looks like is the only problem with this old roller and I would love to get it back to life. I will use an alternate CF BB if I can find the correct one. Thanks for any help, comments or ideas!!