Strange military rolling block.

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
VWMAN

Strange military rolling block.

Post by VWMAN »

I recently purchased this R-B and am having trouble figuring out exactly what it is. It's in caliber .43 Spanish and has very few markings. It has the bar extractor and breechblock screw for the firing pin. It has a patent date on the forward sling swivel band. On all 3 barrel bands there is a Turkish inspector's stamp of a 5 pointed star with a 1/4 crescent moon under the star. But these marks aren't on the breechblock or hammer. The bayonet mount is very odd and I haven't found another picture of one like it. It also had been nickel plated years ago and much of the nickel has flaked off. I've noticed several New York State Militia rifles that have a similar nickel plate on them. The barrel has the proper "P" stamp on the underside. The front sight is different too, it's a carbine style sight dovetailed into the barrel. There are no markings on the receiver whatsoever except the tang "batch" number and the patent dates.
DSCF5017 (2).JPG
DSCF5017 (2).JPG (218.59 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
DSCF5014 (2).JPG
DSCF5014 (2).JPG (182.43 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
DSCF5014 (2).JPG
DSCF5014 (2).JPG (182.43 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Attachments
DSCF5020 (2).JPG
DSCF5020 (2).JPG (117.52 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
ehull

Re: Strange military rolling block.

Post by ehull »

What are the patent markings -- or at the least, how many lines? Barrel length? Can you post a full length photo, right side? Also, photo of the band marking?
VWMAN

Post by VWMAN »

Hello, the barrel is 35 & 1/8 inch long from the back of the receiver to the muzzle, the muzzle has a nice crown, looks uncut. The patent markings unfortunately have been somewhat scrubbed, I would say there might have been at least two lines. The bayonet mount is what has me scratching my head. I think the plating is most likely tin and not nickel. The bore shows hardly any use.
Attachments
New_1_DSCF5047.JPG
New_1_DSCF5047.JPG (208.96 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
New_1_DSCF5042.JPG
New_1_DSCF5042.JPG (240.73 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
ehull

Post by ehull »

It looks like a standard length Remington rifle. Are you sure it isn't.43 Egyptian caliber? The Kedive gave tens of thousands of their Egyptian contract rifles to the Ottoman government as a gift. Also, the Ottoman (Turkish) government bought some Remington's on a trial basis. In the muzzle photo it looks like you can see where the dovetail slot at the sight's original position was filled in. This is not typical of Remington workmanship, so perhaps the rifle was modified elsewhere to fit a different style of bayonet, and then plated as a special presentation piece?
VWMAN

Post by VWMAN »

I checked the chamber when I got it and the Egyptian cartridge has a much larger diameter base and also I fired it with .43 Spanish ammo and the cases came out looking like they went in. The bore diameter is about .439 also.
The front sight is identical to the normal Remington carbine sight and installed the same way. Doesn't look like a Buba job. I read a post where supposedly the NY. State Militia received several hundred Spanish rifles before they got their 50-70's, so perhaps it's one of those, that may explain the pristine bore, looks like it's hardly been shot.
zerolatitude

Post by zerolatitude »

Sir,

The symbol on the barrel band comes from both Egypt and Turkey. It is a Muslim sign and used in many places. .43 Egyption is a spot on guess..

Kind Regards,
Larry
VWMAN

Post by VWMAN »

As stated in previous posts, it's chambered for .43 Spanish Remington. .43 Egyptian is a much larger shell and won't begin to fit. Didn't see any mention of the Crescent moon/ star symbol on the Remington Egyptian rolling blocks. The bayonet lugs are very unusual too. Whatever it is, it's a nice shooter.