Remington #1 Long Range Creedmor Stock Dimensions

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
boltgun71

Remington #1 Long Range Creedmor Stock Dimensions

Post by boltgun71 »

Good day everyone. My name is John Hawes and I am a student at the Pennsylvania Gunsmith School. I’m preparing to start a custom rifle project soon in which I plan on making a Remington #1 Rolling Block Long Range target rifle. Information that I am trying to find is related to some stock dimensions I am hoping the experts here can help me with. I have Roy Marcot’s fantastic book, but cannot find stock dimensions mentioned.

What is the drop of the comb at the front and rear of the buttstock, measured from the top of the receiver?

What is the length of the forearm and how far ahead is the forearm screw/stud located from the receiver?

All information is appreciated and thank you in advance.
JimMill

Re: Remington #1 Long Range Creedmor Stock Dimensions

Post by JimMill »

Hi John, Merz Antique Firearms has a couple of Remington Long Range Rifles on their website www.merzantique.com. Maybe you could contact them, I bet they will take some measurements for you.

Jim
Floop

Post by Floop »

One expert on rolling block stocks is the owner of Treebone Carving. I believe his name is George Peterson. He can supply original and reproduction wood for most Remington rolling blocks. He has some Creedmore rifle pictures that feature his products on this page:

http://www.treebonecarving.com/remingto ... tocks.html

You might want to contact him and ask about dimensions.
Floop
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

With Roy Marcot's book you should be able to scale the dimensions from the pictures using the action as a known size, and determine the other variables. I've often done this when building parts for old gun restorations where I didn't have the factory original gun to measure.
I have a Hepburn with Creedmoor barrel, but not sure that Remington used the same drop etc. for a Hepburn that they used for a #1 Rolling Block. I am also just beginning a build of a clone of the Rolling Block Creedmoor rifle, and I will use Marcot's pictures to scale the stock dimensions and attempt to get it as close as possible.