Another RB Spanish Pattern

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
wlw-19958

Another RB Spanish Pattern

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I'm new here and I am looking for some information on a Roller I recently
acquired. I've done some searching (here and other places) and I am still
a little "in the dark" on some of the questions I have.

First off, I would like to have some information on the numbers on the left hand
side of the tang. Both the upper and lower tang have a neatly stamped "23252"
on them. I am assuming these are assembly numbers (S&W did similar things but
usually limited to three characters).

There is a small capital letter "B" on the left side of the barrel next to the receiver
on the left side. I have seen this mark is a picture in the Layman book: Remington
Rolling Block Military Rifles of the Wold
but I don't know its significance. Also, on
the right hand side of the barrel (opposite the letter "B") is a number "4". Under the
rear barrel band, there is a letter "P" stamped on the barrel.

The rifle in general has the type 4 action with the three line tang markings starting
with "E REMINGTON & SONS ..." and ending with "... MARCH 16th 1874". The barrel
is 35 - 3/16 inches from the breech to the muzzle. From what I understand, this makes
the manufacture somewhere between the March 16, 1874 and 1888 when Remington
went into receivership and bought by Winchester and Hartley.

The barrel does not have the saber bayonet lug and it doesn't look like it ever did
(but I could be wrong). The stock looks like someone used a scraper on it a long time
ago. The only stamping on the stock is a letter "S" just behind the lower tang but
there is some scarring there and there may be another letter next to the "S."

I am a little confused about the caliber. I made a chamber cast and the form of the
chamber closely resembles the .43 Spanish but the neck and groove diameter are a little
large. The barrel slugs out at .446" and the neck is .464". I understand that Rollers
of this period sometimes are a little on the large side in the bore. The chamber is
definitely for a bottleneck cartridge and the placement of the shoulder corresponds
with an old .43 Spanish cartridge I have in my "bullet jar" (everyone here has one; right?).

Anyway, I am interested, not only in collecting but I would like to get into BPCR shooting
and I would like a little mentoring on what size projectiles to use and some wisdom on
reloading dies to use. The .43 Mauser has the right size neck and expander so, I'm torn
between using .43 Spanish dies and to replace the expander with the larger one used
in the .43 Mauser or to use .43 Mauser resizing die and not to fully seat the cartridge in
the resizing die (so not to set back the shoulder). The first option would (I think) over-
work the brass and shorten the life of the brass (unless I anneal the neck each time) or
do the latter.

Anyway, this is enough for now. I hope to hear for you knowledgeable people soon!

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
jon_norstog

Re: Another RB Spanish Pattern

Post by jon_norstog »

Hello Webb!

The .43 Spanish is a very common round for the rolling block rifle. It is a good round too, with (IMHO) a bit of an edge on the 45-70 in terms of velocity and useful range.

Most of your concerns are really nothing to worry about as long as you use BP and a soft (say, 1:20 tin-lead) bullet. Basically, long as the round will chamber, the cartridge has enough tension in the neck to keep the bullet in place during handling, and the bullet is big enough it won't drop down the bore, you are OK.

If you use smokeless powder none of the above apply.

Let us all know how it goes OK?

jn
wlw-19958

Re: Another RB Spanish Pattern

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Thanks for replying. I will keep you informed but it
will take me awhile to get to the point of shooting it.

I hope bullet obturation will be enough to give decent
accuracy. I'm looking for a Lyman/Ideal 439186 at present
(hoping to find a good used one at a decent price).

The depth of the rim recess in my roller is about .091" and
the one piece of Jameson brass I have has a rim of .075".
I see that "Track of the Wolf" has brass that claim to have
brass with .090" rims but it is pricey.

If you have any suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb