Lyman tang sight for No 7 RB

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Rider

Lyman tang sight for No 7 RB

Post by Rider »

I recently purchased a lyman number 1 tang sight for my No. 7 RB. The problem that I have is that the mounting screw hole in the sight base is too small to accept the screw from the blank that was in the receiver. My question is: what size of screw was standard for the number 7? I am guessing that the screw in mine is an 8 by 40. The hole in the sight base appears to be for a number 6 screw. As I see it I have only one choice and that is to enlarge the hole in the base. Any one have a better suggestion?
Thanks,
Rider
Dixiejack

Re: Lyman tang sight for No 7 RB

Post by Dixiejack »

Take it to a gunsmith and buy the correct size screw from him. Is the screw hole in the sight base countersunk? What length screw do you need? Do you have the correct size drill bit or do you have to buy one? Do you have a drill press so you can drill the hole straight so your sight won't have any play in it? For what a No. 7 is worth these days, I would have the work professionally done.
Never mind the mule, just load the wagon.
Rider

Post by Rider »

DixieJack,
I have had the number 7 at the gunsmith for a couple of weeks now, with the instructions to drill out the base hole and build a screw to fit the countersink in the sight. I have spent six or seven years trying to locate the correct sight and see no need to botch the job. I checked with the smith last week and he had an accident and broke his back so I don't have any idea when I will have the rifle back. He also has my 40-70 SS built on a Husqvarna Model 12 action that was supposed to be complete two weeks ago. I wish him a speedy recovery.
Rider
remington600

Post by remington600 »

There was a NO. 7 sight on ebay for sale. I know it didn't sell and was relisted. It may have had all the screws needed?

Billy Smith
Rider

Post by Rider »

R600,
I have checked e-bay and do not find another sight for the Number 7. I will have the gunsmith fabricate the correct screw. Thanks for your imput.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Yes....sorry. I found it. It was a Marbles rear sight. It sold for $268.00

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 61&alt=web