Model 51

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
at38b

Model 51

Post by at38b »

Thanks for all the responses to my silly questions. I've been out of the country again, back to the sandbox for three weeks. Anyway went to shoot this old 51, got about 40 rds thru it, pulled the slide to clear it, the slide is ratcheting??? Got home pulled it apart, no apparent broken parts, cleaned it up, the slide is upside down, barrel is locked in the forward position, breech block installed, all ok, well, as soon as the barrel is unlocked and pushed back against the block, it pushes rearward and up, as if your taking it out??? Something is catching and ratcheting when the slide is pulled back.
Any help would be really be appreciated,
Jeff
Steven Swope

Re: Model 51

Post by Steven Swope »

Check the extractor after you take the breech block out of the slide.

Only so many moving parts in the slide, keep checking ALL of them for breakage
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

at38b
I'm not a gunsmith, but I have several 51's
I agree with Steven, since the barrel is pined to the frame, the problem must be with the breach block and/or the slide.
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

Thinking it over since my last post..sounds like the extractor has partially broke, lost an hooked edge, has a top and bottom, or jumped partially out of its fixed in place recess in the breech block opening...

Also check the slide for drag marks / bright spots on the inside of the slide showing new wear... Some pics of what you might find after you get the slide and breech block separated / apart would be helpful to determine what may be wrong with it.

Also check the slide for any hairline cracks near the ejection port and around where the breech block fits in the slide along the top rails...
at38b

Post by at38b »

Thanks guys for all the info. 6am just pulled the barrel pin, pulled the slide back, compressed the grip safety, the frickin slide won't come off now? Just catches on something, is there a way to get it off, maybe pull the grip safety? I did look at the extractor when pulled back, looks like a small piece is off on the bottom.
Appreciate the info.
Jeff
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

View this,,, videos at bottom of page may help...

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Rem51/rem51.html
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

Here is another instructional video,,,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2jy1Wjy1bI