721 question

Mjrand

721 question

Post by Mjrand »

Hello all, just got here. I recently picked up a 721 in ‘06 that turned out to be a lot nicer than I was expecting. My intent was to put the rifle in rotation for hunting, but I am wondering about the wisdom of that given its condition. Markings show it as a 1949 rifle. Finish appears only slightly worn on sharp edges, but the overall original bluing condition would be in the 98%+ range. Stock is similar. Does not appear as a scope has ever been mounted, and no holes for sling swivels are present. Buttplate shows very minor finish wear. So my question is this....since I am not a collector is this better off in the hands of someone who is, or are these guns common enough in this condition that hunting with it is no big deal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wulfman

Re: 721 question

Post by Wulfman »

From my point of view........."USE IT"!. That's what it was meant for.
Over the previous 35 years, I acquired a number of fairly pristine 721s and 722s that I've used and taken game with. A couple of my favorites are in the .257 Roberts chambering. I also have a 721 in .264 Winchester Magnum that was built in 1961 (a very limited number of them were built before the switch to the Model 700).
I would also have no hesitation to add sling swivels, scope or whatever to it, too.

As the gun writer Jim Carmichel used to say, "I use them and let my next-of-kin worry about their values".

Just sayin'........

Den

Mjrand

Post by Mjrand »

I have no shortage of rifles to use. If this one may bring a good selling price based on condition then I would consider that. If it does not then I’d like to know that, too.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Anyone (collector or hunter) would love to have the gun. Great that there are not aftermarket swivels and the gun is honest with condition. .30-06 is by far the most common caliber. I’ll go out on a limb and say between $600.00 and $700.00 to a collector. Lesser condition guns routinely bring between $300.00 and $400.00 on the auction sites.
usabaker

Post by usabaker »

I'm a collector and I use all my rifles, what's the point of having them if you don't at least use them occasionally. I just picked up a first-year 1948 Remington 721 (for hunting - Not as part of my collection) and after cycling the action a few times, I think that I am in love, not that I don't have other 700 rifles; I do Modern ones that I shoot and hunt with, but this one for some reason just has "that feel". She's nowhere near the condition as yours, she's in good condition, but then after using my Borescope there is Zero erosion and the bore is as sweet as they come.