This old gun.

Whughett

This old gun.

Post by Whughett »

Serial number 66158. Gun was badly corroded, cylinder rust welded to base pin, screws deformed or drilled, grips intact but worn and oil soaked. Recently decided to restore as much as possible to a workable condition. Missing the main spring, otherwise intact. Replaced main spring, trigger/bolt spring and several of the damaged/deformed screws, hammer, trigger/bolt and loading lever. Reproductions from Dixie.

I’ve gotten to where it will lock in battery and snap caps. However either the hand has worn or corroded to much on the tip and the cylinder has to be rotated by hand. Lockup is iffy on some stops. The cylinder notches and ratchet are also worn.
I’d like to do some metal work also just to make it more displayable, perhaps do a plum brown finish.
I’m hoping I can actually fire some very low charge loads. At any rate it will be a nice wall hanger when I can make a display case.

Comments appreciated and any information on the serial number.
Harvey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aardq

Re: This old gun.

Post by aardq »

Hi Harvey,

That is a New Model Army, made in March, 1864. No cartouche or inspector’s marks are visible so it’s probably a civilian gun. I'd leave it as it and hang it on a wall. It's just too old and rusted (weakened) to shoot.
Dan
Whughett

Re: This old gun.

Post by Whughett »

Thank you. That’s amazing. 155 years old.