Need HELP

Steyr Man

Need HELP

Post by Steyr Man »

Yes I have read and reread everything I can find on this issue Numbers do not match anything I have seen, Serial's 61530XX model is a 788 barrel markings are SK B3 it has me confused. My dad has had this gun since I was a kid (1970`s) Serials I have found place it between end of 1968 which ends 06XXXX and 1969 which starts 620XXX, It is possible I have a Parts .243 788 model? Any one willing to shed some light Thanks, Since dad has passed I have become fixated on this rifle it is one of several he owned this one seems to hold the attention.
Wulfman

Re: Need HELP

Post by Wulfman »

Steyr Man wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:17 am Yes I have read and reread everything I can find on this issue Numbers do not match anything I have seen, Serial's 61530XX model is a 788 barrel markings are SK B3 it has me confused. My dad has had this gun since I was a kid (1970`s) Serials I have found place it between end of 1968 which ends 06XXXX and 1969 which starts 620XXX, It is possible I have a Parts .243 788 model? Any one willing to shed some light Thanks, Since dad has passed I have become fixated on this rifle it is one of several he owned this one seems to hold the attention.
I don't know how much light I can shed on this, but........
Yes, in 1969, the serial numbers jumped from "hundreds of thousands" to "millions" as they added a "6" (million) to the receiver serial numbers. I have examples of the 1960s and early 1970s vintage 700 models......one later one from 1968 and a couple from the early 1970s.....3584XX - Jul 1968 and 64588XX - Jul 1971.
But, your barrel date codes are a little curious. If the barrel date code is actually "K B", that would translate to "May 1981". Otherwise, not much else fits with the letters you've listed. It's been previously stated that the number "3" may be an indicator that the firearm had been returned to the factory at some point. Could be possible that the firearm was sent back to the factory then for some reason......maybe a replacement of the safety. Remington had lots of safety/trigger assembly recalls and replacements back then, although many/most were replaced by local gunsmiths. Pretty hard to tell at this point in time.
I'm afraid that's the most I can contribute.
Good luck!

Den