Remington 870 Wooden Stock - Stampings & Proof Marks

spcsys

Remington 870 Wooden Stock - Stampings & Proof Marks

Post by spcsys »

Hello, this is my first post, while this is a shotgun question I thought this may be the most appropriate area as it seems the shotgun sections were informational and legacy type discussions.

Does anyone know of a good page where I can find information on Remington wooden stock proof marks or stampings? I am looking specifically in regards to an 870 but I am sure if someone took the time to compile such a list they would be more comprehensive and cover all of Remington's models. If so, thank you for the link, if not, please see if you can help me with determining the meaning on the "20" on a stock I am purchasing to build up an old retro parkerized 870 once I get a nice parkerized receiver.

Here are the details on the stock in question:

I purchased a Remington wooden stock which was sold as a Police/Riot stock. Everything looks good but there is one concern which is a stamping. The stock is stated to be for a 12 or 16ga (by the seller). That sounds right but the stampings are as follows, it has "870" (no P) on the area that attaches to the receiver (not sure what that flat area that interfaces the receiver is called). What has me thinking is that under that area, where it has the trigger guard gap (unfinished area) it has "20" stamped on it. I don't have an 870 receiver available to me to verify if it is a 12ga compatible stock.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any information to share with me regarding this stamping or the size interchange on the 870 gauges. Is it possible this stock shipped with a 20 gauge but on a standard 870 receiver frame the 12/16/20 gauges would use the same stock interface/sizing?

Thanks for any information you all can provide. I can show a picture if that would help, the listing is currently still on ebay as well but I am not sure if I can link to the item number, besides the listings expire over time and I know the dead links don't help people down the road. I searched Google but could not come up with anything as "stampings" returns all barrel proof mark results due to the high number of forums having had those questions asked over the years.

Thanks,
Sean