I've got to complain to someone!!

Researcher

I've got to complain to someone!!

Post by Researcher »

The answer to that Remington Model 11 Autoloading Shotgun question by Mr. Al Houde, on pages 6 and 7 of the new issue of The Remington Collector's Journal was full of errors. The safety was only changed once. From the gun's introduction in 1905 through 1927 the safety was the lever in front of the trigger inside the trigger guard. In 1928 the cross-bolt safety behind the trigger was introduced. It appears someone was confusing Remington Autoloading Shotgun/Model No. 11 safeties with Browning A5 safeties which did change very early on from the lever in front of the trigger inside the trigger guard to a safety through the front of the trigger guard?!? Remington Arms Co. did not make 277,722 Remington Autoloading Shotguns in the first six years of production. The number is more like 101,714. The answer was correct in stating that the gun in question, serial number 255865 was in production in April 1923.

Respectfully Submitted

Dave Noreen
Mike Strietbeck

Re: I've got to complain to someone!!

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Dave,

Just got finished reading your post and then re-reading the RemShots column you referred to. You are 100% correct and I thank you for bringing it to our attention. The first issue, concerning the safety location is totally confusing and I can only attribute that to responding from memory, rather than taking the time to research my files. I like to believe that had I researched it properly, my answer would have matched the phtograph I used in the article.
That said, I don't know how I came up with the "phenomenal 277,722" for my records agree totally with yours on the quantity at 101714.

Thanks again and look forward to the correction in the next Journal.
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.