Remington 721 question

Javelina23

Remington 721 question

Post by Javelina23 »

I am new to rifles and hunting. My grand mom gave me one of grandfathers deer rifles and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it. It is a Remington 721 .270 WBY MAG with a thumb hole stock. It also has the numbers 70/83 stamped into it. I've spent several hours on the Internet and I can't find a mention of another rifle that matches it exactly. I was wondering why I can't find another mention of it anywhere and why that caliber is not listed on the Remington website as a caliber that belongs to the 721. Does anyone have any info on this rifle? Thanks.
Wulfman

Re: Remington 721 question

Post by Wulfman »

Javelina23 wrote:I am new to rifles and hunting. My grand mom gave me one of grandfathers deer rifles and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it. It is a Remington 721 .270 WBY MAG with a thumb hole stock. It also has the numbers 70/83 stamped into it. I've spent several hours on the Internet and I can't find a mention of another rifle that matches it exactly. I was wondering why I can't find another mention of it anywhere and why that caliber is not listed on the Remington website as a caliber that belongs to the 721. Does anyone have any info on this rifle? Thanks.
The part I bolded is what tells me you have a rifle that was modified by a gunsmith.
It was probably originally a (standard) .270 Winchester that was rechambered for the .270 Weatherby Magnum and restocked.

These modifications were not uncommon back in the 1950s through the 1970s.
I also have a 721 that I bought in the late 1980s that had originally been a .30-06 and was rechambered for the .308 Norma Magnum somewhere along the way. One of the reasons I bought it was because I knew the original owner. He was an elderly gentleman who had stopped hunting. It was in pretty sorry condition when I got it, so I had a local gunsmith do some work on it. Whoever had done the rechambering did a lousy job......he had run the reamer too deep and it was somewhere between the .308 Norma and .300 Winchester Magnum, so my gunsmith "turned" the barrel and rechambered it to proper dimensions. He also reblued it and tweaked the trigger pull among other things. I put a new recoil pad on it and reshaped and refinished the original stock. It actually turned out pretty nice.

Den

Javelina23

Post by Javelina23 »

You are correct about it being modified. I was wrong about the numbers 70/83, actually it says 70783. Does anyone knnow what number is or means?
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

That would probably be the serial number.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... ?f=5&t=410

Den