patent 33382 (I think)

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Laura

patent 33382 (I think)

Post by Laura »

We just found a small hand gun that my grandfather had given to my father. The writing on it mentions the remington company Ilion NY and two patent years 1860 and 1861. Looking at your gallery I believe this gun is patent 33382.

It's seems so small. Can anyone tell me a history of how/why it would be used and how I could tell it's exact age?

thanks in advance!
DavidFagan

Re: patent 33382 (I think)

Post by DavidFagan »

Laura wrote:We just found a small hand gun that my grandfather had given to my father. The writing on it mentions the remington company Ilion NY and two patent years 1860 and 1861. Looking at your gallery I believe this gun is patent 33382.

It's seems so small. Can anyone tell me a history of how/why it would be used and how I could tell it's exact age?

thanks in advance!
That patent is for a ZigZag and it has 1858 and 1860 on left site of the frame. It if has 1860 and 1861 on the barrels that would be a Remington-Elliot. You can see the ZigZag has a rotating barrel and the Remington Elliot is fixed barrel tip up with a rotating firing "pin".

There are two modesl the 5 barrel 22rf and the 4 barrel 32rf they started production in 1863 and the 5 barrel stopped in the mid 1870's which the 4 barrel 32rf continued until 1888. I've got serial no's around but I don't remember off-hand but a good ball-park is that made around 10,000 of the 22's and 25,000 of the 32's I've definately seen serial no's in the 23,000's for those.

As to how it was used, it's a pocket gun some of the first new designs to take advantage of the new metallic cartridge, this was a huge milestone in firearm history. As for it's exact age I can only say I believe at least the 22 didn't sell well even right off being there are original nickel ones in the 2,000's so I would date them on the mid to later end for at least leaving the factory. The 32's appeared to fair much better. This dating however is just my theory please consider it speculative ...

I
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Laura

Thanks for info

Post by Laura »

Yes it is a 5 barrel and my husband now remembers seeing the word Ellliot on it (we don't have the gun in front of us) So I think you solved the mystery. Interesting about the historical significance. But I think I can understand why they wouldn't have sold that well. It doesn't seem like a very practical piece but then I suppose someone from that time might say that about our pocket computers with the teeny screens.

Thanks for your help on this. :D