Hepburn help

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
pram-z

Hepburn help

Post by pram-z »

Well I'm new to this site so let's give this a try. I have a Remington Hepburn, which I inherited from my great-great grandfather, who used it on the plains of central Montana. Other than that, I know little, it is serial number 2351, I don't know if it is a Model 1,2,3, or what. I see no place on the reciever or barrel which list a caliber. Also the rolling block only drops down about 1/3 of the way down, I have lubed it up in hopes that will help, but it hasn't so far,( any suggestions ?.) I believe it to be a .45-70, but there again I don't know where to look for a caliber. I also assume this is a black powder gun and not smokeless. Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Paul
Mike Pifer

Re: Hepburn help

Post by Mike Pifer »

Paul, you can be sure it is a Black Powder rifle. Problem with the breech sounds like it is hitting the firing pin on the way down, check that out.

Mike Pifer
pram-z

Re: Hepburn help

Post by pram-z »

Thanks for the reply Mike, yes you might be right about the firing pin, but not sure if I'm the one to be messing around with it . It looks like it may be surface rusted up, I'll try soaking it up a bit. If that doesn't work, do you know a good gunsmith in NW Oregon?.