Civil War Revolover

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Chad Bittinger

Civil War Revolover

Post by Chad Bittinger »

My granfather recently gave me a Civil War era Remington revolver and I would like to learn more about it. What do I need to look at on it to found out about it. It is not in terrible condition but probably could look better. Should I try to do anything to clean it up? If so what is the best way? Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
DavidFagan

Re: Civil War Revolover

Post by DavidFagan »

Chad Bittinger wrote:My granfather recently gave me a Civil War era Remington revolver and I would like to learn more about it. What do I need to look at on it to found out about it. It is not in terrible condition but probably could look better. Should I try to do anything to clean it up? If so what is the best way? Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Initially at least do not do any cleaning other then what you can do with gun oil and a rag.
i.e. don't polish it or clean it with rubbing compound or a dremel, it's value will drop significantly.

First to identify it, start with any writing you can make out, barrel length, caliber (or a
guess), percussion? No-one will ever complain about too many details (about a gun).
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Chad Bittinger

Details

Post by Chad Bittinger »

I tried to get as much off of it as I could, here we go.

It has 61115 under the barrel as well as under the grip.
It is a .44 caliber
The barrel is 8" from the cylinder & 6 1/4" from the end of the frame.
On top of the barrel is has
"PATENDED SEPT 14 1858
E. REMINGTON & SONS ILION NEW YORK USA
NEW MODEL"

The barrel has most of it's blueing the frame has some. It has some pitting on it.

It is fully functional. It also has some letters stated in different places. I think I read these inspectors.

Barrel - C
Cylinder - W
Frame - L
Trigger Guard - L

I have pics of it to, I can email.

I would be thankful for anymore help.
DavidFagan

Re: Details

Post by DavidFagan »

Chad Bittinger wrote:I tried to get as much off of it as I could, here we go.

It has 61115 under the barrel as well as under the grip.
It is a .44 caliber
The barrel is 8" from the cylinder & 6 1/4" from the end of the frame.
On top of the barrel is has
"PATENDED SEPT 14 1858
E. REMINGTON & SONS ILION NEW YORK USA
NEW MODEL"

The barrel has most of it's blueing the frame has some. It has some pitting on it.

It is fully functional. It also has some letters stated in different places. I think I read these inspectors.

Barrel - C
Cylinder - W
Frame - L
Trigger Guard - L

I have pics of it to, I can email.

I would be thankful for anymore help.
I'm sure many people know the revolvers better then me, if I screw up they will let us know :D

This is a Remington New Model Army Revolver made 1862-1875 This was infact one of the major hanguns of the Civil War along with Colt's 1860 Army. Since it has all the sub-inspector markings I suspect this is a standard model and there might still be a cartouche stamp visible on the left grip. The standard model comprises of approx 106,000 of the estimated 122,000 manufactured.

Now I'm sure Leon (RemShots) can give you lot more inetersting details then I if you send mail to remshots @ remingtonsociety.com with the details. If you would like the pictures up just hit my mail and send them to me I'll put them up.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer