New Model 1858 help low serial number 3 digits

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Relicman

New Model 1858 help low serial number 3 digits

Post by Relicman »

I have a Remington pistol with a 48x (used x to hide last number) serial number since i am not sure if its safe to post it. It has an 8 inch barrel on it and marked under the barrel, under the grip and under the trigger guard. Cant find any information on it and was wondering if it was actually used in the Civil War. Any help would be appreciated. I can post pictures if you need them.

Thanks
billt

Re: New Model 1858 help low serial number 3 digits

Post by billt »

Hello Relicman,
By the length of the barrel, the low serial number and not being able to see some pictures I would say you have a Remington Beals Army revolver. The barrel address should read “BEALS’ PATENT. SEPT. 14, 1858/ MANUFACTURED BY REMINGTONS' ILION. N.Y.” Approximately 1900 were made before the Elliot or Old Model was put into production. I would say there is a 90 plus percent probability it was used in the Civil war. They were made in April and May of 1862 and the Ordnance Department at that time was looking to buy anything that would shoot. If you could post some pictures we could verify that it is indeed a Beals.

Bill