Remington Beals 36 cal revolver Research

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
orent

Remington Beals 36 cal revolver Research

Post by orent »

Hello,
Some time ago I traded for a revolver that from what I can find is a Remington Beals 36 caliber. None of my books show any detailed photos of the various models and I am not finding any specific information online for making identification on this revolver. Are there any books that would provide source material to do research on my revolver to determine exactly which model it is? It is missing the hammer spring and a previous owner cobbled together one from bending some spring wire. Would there be a place where I could procure a hammer spring or borrow one to copy? :D
aardq

Re: Remington Beals 36 cal revolver Research

Post by aardq »

Hi Orent,

If you post a picture or two, we can better identify the gun you have. The serial number will determine the made date.

There are basically just two models of the Beals revolver. The first model has only one finger grip on the cylinder pin. Only 200 were made. Because of the single finger grip, collectors call them “single wing” revolvers.
[img][attachment=0]Beals Navy.jpg[/attachment] [/img]

The pic is of a Navy Beals copied from p.40 of Don Ware’s book.

Several design changes were made, and production continued with the second version. The easiest way to tell a Beals by look, is that part of the loading lever has flat sides, and a shape unique to the Beals.

The best book on the large frame Remington percussion revolvers is “Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888,” by Don Ware.

For a mainspring, you can check Dixie Gun Works, they should have a spring.

Dan
Attachments
Beals Navy.jpg
Beals Navy.jpg (506.46 KiB) Viewed 1357 times