1858 Revolver 37k Range S/N Research

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Joe Mc

1858 Revolver 37k Range S/N Research

Post by Joe Mc »

Hello All,

My name is Joe and I’m from England and I’m interested in anything Civil War and Frontier related. I’m new to the group as I’ve I bought an 1858 Remington today with S/N: 37500. It’s only my second Remington, my other being a Nickel 1875.

It was found in a shed here in the U.K so it’s very rough (damp climate) but hasn’t been touched in many, many years. It has inlaid grips which I really like as it shows it continued being used after the CW. There was something about it that made be go on a 6 hour round trip to pick it up.

I was hoping that somebody could kindly tell me when it was made please? What would be fantastic is if I could also find out what regiment it possibly ended up with too that would really be the icing on the cake. Any info would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Joe
billt

Re: 1858 Revolver 37k Range S/N Research

Post by billt »

Hello Joe,
Welcome to the Forum. Your revolver was manufactured and shipped to the Ordnance Department in September of 1863. Unfortunately there are no records of to which regiment it was issued.

I hope this helps,

Bill
Joe Mc

Re: 1858 Revolver 37k Range S/N Research

Post by Joe Mc »

Hello Bill,

Many thanks indeed, I really appreciate you looking it up for me. Whilst it would have been nice to pin down a regiment I’m delighted that it’s definitely a martial weapon.

Best regards,

Joe