Model 1858

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Scotty1952

Model 1858

Post by Scotty1952 »

I have a gun that has been passed down in the family for years. It is a Remmington .44 cal, patented Sep14,1958. The serial number on the barrel is 144624. I'm wondering if anyone would have any information about this weapon. Any help would be appreciated.
aardq

Re: Model 1858

Post by aardq »

Hi Scotty,

Welcome to the forum. Pictures are always better, but may not be needed this time. The serial indicates that it was made in March 1865. If it was accepted by the US, there will be a single letter, inspector's mark on the bbl, frame, and loading lever. It will also have an oval cartouche with initials, in the left grip panel. If these marks are absent, the gun was for civilian sale.

Enjoy the pistol,
Dan
Scotty1952

Post by Scotty1952 »

Thanks Dan.
Here are pics of the gun and inside the left grip panel.
There is pencil writing on the inside of the grips if that could be any help. "45" on one and "697" on the other.
Just trying to get a good reading on this gun so I can move it on to my son.

Scotty
Attachments
IMG_0060.jpeg
IMG_0060.jpeg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 3897 times
IMG_0063.jpeg
IMG_0063.jpeg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 3897 times
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Scotty,

Thanks for the photos. That's in nice condition. Forgot to tell you that the gun is a New Model Army. I can't see any inspector's marks, nor a cartouche on the left grip panel. The pencil number on the inside of the grip panels should be the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial number. Often the grips were fitted to the gun, so they were numbered to make sure they got back on the right gun.

Does the barrel number match the frame number? The number will also be on the tab of the trigger guard. Are the nipples missing?

The trigger guard screw is either unscrewed and about to fall out, or it is the wrong screw. Replacement screws are available, try Dixie Gun Works.

Dan
Scotty1952

Post by Scotty1952 »

Dan
At a closer (much closer) look the grip panel numbers are indeed 3 digits of the serial number.
Yes, the barrel number and the frame number do match.
Yes, the nipples are missing. Also, the cylinder rotates freely so I guess there is no cylinder stop is missing. Are those sold also?

Scotty
shamousrex

Post by shamousrex »

I am new to this and I have a pistol that looks exactly like Dan's. my serial no. is 60354 and there are faint pencil marks on the inside of the wood grips. There are stamp number on the cylinder starting at the first number and rotating clockwise I have a 2, 03 (with a 0 that is just below and between the 0 and 3), and 54.

Any idea of the year it was made and who initially bought it? Value today, if any?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rusty
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi King Shamus, ; )

Scotty has the pistol in question. By the serial number, your pistol is a New Model Army and according to Ware, the gun was made in March, 1864. As with Scotty's gun, if it was a US owned gun there will be an oval cartouche in the left grip with the inspector's initials. Also the frame, bbl, and loading lever will have a single letter stamped in them. That is the sub-inspector's mark. The fact that the cylinder also has the serial number means that the gun required some hand fitting and the cyl was numbered to insure that it went into the proper gun. No way know where it was shipped. We don't give values here because guns require personal inspection to assess condition.

Dan
aardq

Post by aardq »

Scotty,

The internal parts are available. Is the cylinder stop missing, or is the spring missing? Visual inspection should tell you.

Dan
OldFotoMan

Post by OldFotoMan »

There is a double sectioned flat style spring under the trigger guard. One side works the trigger and the other does the pawl that controls the cylinder. Typically the side that works the cylinder breaks off. This allows it to rotate freely and not lock up properly when cocking.