1858 New Model navy

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Lammerlaw

1858 New Model navy

Post by Lammerlaw »

Recently I purchased the best Remington New Model Navy that I have ever seen. I have never examined any to any great detail in the past but I paid $4250 New Zealand for it or $2757 US
There is 90 perecnt original blue on the barrel and the frame has traces with a pleasant patina.
Under the top strap of the frame and also on the frame under the cylinder there is strong evidence of hand filing which appears to have been done many many years ago as the finish under the file marks is the same as the rest of the frame.
What I would like to know is whether this filing was hand filing to finish the gun or whether it was done later by someone for some unknown reason.
Is the gun worth what I paid for it - the only photo that shows the guns true finish on the barrel is the one with the makers stamp but the barrel is nealry all over a lovely blue the same as canbe seen in the photo.
Opinions more than welcome as to originality of the file marks and the value I paid.
Attachments
IMG_9113 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9113 - Copy.JPG (226.54 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
IMG_9112 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9112 - Copy.JPG (216.55 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
IMG_9105 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9105 - Copy.JPG (93.67 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
IMG_9104 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9104 - Copy.JPG (324.92 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
IMG_9103 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9103 - Copy.JPG (261.11 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
aardq

Re: 1858 New Model navy

Post by aardq »

Hi Lammerlaw,

Not too bad condition on that NMN. No inspectors marks on the gun, and no cartouche on the left grip mean that it is not a military gun.
A lot of guns of that era have file marks because of the demand for guns during and after the US Civil War. Production numbers were important so not all guns of all makers had perfect finishes.. I have no idea why those areas may have been filled. My guess is to remove casting marks. The best clue that they are original is that the bluing was done after the filing.
Post a serial and we can tell you when it was made.
As to value, the value of that or any gun in NZ can be vastly different than in the US, or Europe or any other country. Value is often based on demand. In this case, you thought that it was a fair price, so that is an answer.
Dan