My first post...

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Sweeney

My first post...

Post by Sweeney »

Hello all, I just joined as I'm interested in acquiring an 1858 Remington. My friend and gun smith has one in for work (needs a hand spring) from a dealer friend of his. This is not the dealer's usual area but bought an estate collection.

It is serial number 110416 and I was wondering if anyone might have info regarding the manufacture date...perhaps late 1864? I haven't seen it yet but my friend states it has about 80% of it's blue with no patina. 'GP' cartouche on the left grip and a very nice bore.

Best Regards,
aardq

Re: My first post...

Post by aardq »

Welcome to the RSA forum. Your serial was made in Nov of 1864, the the GP cartouche is for inspector Giles Porter. the serial number will be in 3 places. Underside of the barrel, the lower, left grip frame, and the trigger guard tab.

Enjoy your nice find.
Sweeney

Re: My first post...

Post by Sweeney »

Thank you, Sir! It does have matching serial numbers. I was surprised by the condition of the bore...bright and shiny with strong rifling.

I'm waiting to see what the asking price will be to determine if I'll buy it or not. I have another project going that is a bit of a money hog... I'm building a replica XM25 variant of the M14 rifle. My McMillan stock is due to arrive tomorrow.

I'll get an 1858 eventually...maybe a 'fixer upper' if I have to. I do enjoy bringing well used stuff back to operational condition.