Help ID Remington Revolver - makers marks look wrong

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Rickoshay

Help ID Remington Revolver - makers marks look wrong

Post by Rickoshay »

Hello everyone
Am new to site and saying 'hello' as well as adding a query. Can the experts that are here let me know:
1. what revolver they think this is, and
2. whether they have seen these 'Remington' makers barrel markings before (they look wrong to me).

No other obvious markings that I can find, but am new to Remington.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 1.jpg
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 1.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 4328 times
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 3.jpg
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 3.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 4328 times
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 4.jpg
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 4.jpg (964.11 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 5.jpg
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 5.jpg (737.71 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
aardq

Re: Help ID Remington Revolver - makers marks look wrong

Post by aardq »

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the world of Remingtons. That is an 1863, New Model Army. Without any inspector's marks it was made for civilian sale rather than government contract, but the markings may have been polished off when plated. The top barrel marking was in three lines. The top line was the patent info, the middle line was the company info, and the bottom line was simply, "New Model".

The serial number is on the barrel underside, the lower, left grip frame, and the inside of the trigger guard tab. Post the serial and we may be ale to give a manufacturing year.

These guns were not nickeled until about 1873, do it is probable that it was plated years after it was made. The missing top barrel marking could have been polished off at that time.

Enjoy your purchase.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Again Rick,

Are there two parallel bands around the circumference of the cylinder near the front. Those would have probably had gold wire embedded in the grove. Is the gold wire still there?
Thanks,
Daniel
Rickoshay

Post by Rickoshay »

Hi Daniel

Thank you for the info, that's very helpful and much appreciated. Yes, there are two parallel bands around the cylinder (you can see them in one of the images I hope), and there does appear to be yellow metal in them.
Interesting about the markings; is it possible that all the markings were polished out and then the "E Remington & Sons ILION USA" re-added? (plus no mention of NY).
The lettering isn't very level/even. Will have another look for a serial, but am away from the revolver at present.
Forgive the naivety, but would this be a .36, .44 or .45 calibre revolver?

Best
Rickoshay

Post by Rickoshay »

ps is this rare in any way, do I need to be careful with reconditioning or any other such activity. I have a deep restoration genie that may need to be subdued!
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Rick,

From the pic it looks like a 44, which is why I called it a New Model Army. The Navies were 36 caliber. Not rare at all. It's the most produced pistol that Rem made, about 120,000.

If the markings were done in 3 stamps, the top and bottom lines may not have been applied. Someone with knowledge of this may jump in and let us know how the stamping was done. If the two line were polished out, the barrel top would be dished towards the outer edges. As to the lack of the "NY." it just the die that was used may not have had the mark. Dies wear out and when new dies were made, the worker just forgot the "NY". It is a little unusual, but not rare and ads nothing to the value that I'm aware of.

Usually when the cylinder has the gold bands it's part of having a pistol "dressed up", and the barrel will also usually have similar bands at the muzzle or/and at the rear near the frame. Usually there will be some engraving too. My first guess is that the cylinder was originally on a different gun that had other decorations of some kind. Since Rem didn't number the cylinders there is no way to know.

Normally I'm against any restoration because it destroys the collector value. Because of the condition of this gun, and the apparent lack of any historical value, if you want to pay the freight to have it restored or refinished, and it has no historic value, I'd say go for it. Just realize that it will probably cost more for the work than the pistol is worth before the work. After the work the value among collectors will nose dive. If you want a nice display piece, it might be cheaper to buy a modern repo, and keep this gun as is.

Lots of options, and they all cost money.

Please advise of the serial, when you can check it out, and if they all match.
Good Luck,
Daniel
Rickoshay

Post by Rickoshay »

Thank you for the useful replies, have now had a closer look at the Remington; there are no serial numbers or marks on it anywhere - absolutely none, nor signs of any.

As I have said before the 'name' looks deep etched to me (by hand) and is certainly not even across the top and bottom of the letters as you would expect from a die/stamp.

There is no sign of bevelling from being polished out or such like. I am loathed to strip it down and see if there are markings inside the action, as feel such activity loosens things, but could do so.

Thoughts welcome and help so far much appreciated.

Ps the only restoration I was thinking of doing would be to polish out and treat the rust patches, clean bore, chambers, nipples and possibly check the springs in the action for crud build up.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Rick,

Not sure what you mean about stripping it down. The only markings should be on top of the barrel and the 3 serial numbers that you know about. Those are easy to check, two only need one screw to be removed. Barring no serials, it may have been a lunch box special. The cylinder could have come from a different gun, since the gold bands would mean a custom order, and those probably wouldn't leave in a lunch box. Lots of possibilities and no way to ever find out the truth.

Polishing of any kind is not advised since it will lower the value. You might use 0000 steel wool, or brass wool if you can find it, and a light oil to clean up the rust. A light touch is the key in using the steel wool to rub the rust areas. Do a little at a time and don't over do it. Cleaning up the bore, the chambers and the nipples is fine.

Good luck with the pistol.
Rickoshay

Post by Rickoshay »

Hello again
Thank you for the replies. What I meant by stripping it down, was to look inside the workings. I now have the revolver to hand and have taken the following image of the inside of the action/grip/butt.
Very clearly there is a number there: 524 28. Does that help date the revolver?
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 7.JPG
1858 NMA nickel_ivory 7.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4213 times
Look forward to hearing from you all.
Best regards
Rick
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi rick,

In Balto for the antique arms show. Your number was made in Jan, 1864. You should check the other two locations to see if the numbers match.