Relic New Model Pocket with Very High SN

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Singleshot

Relic New Model Pocket with Very High SN

Post by Singleshot »

I recently obtained a relic condition Remington New Model Pocket revolver, percussion, .31 cal. It's a brass frame gun, with iron cylinder, barrel, loading lever, and iron "spur" trigger between brash sheathing. All of the mechanics are thoroughly rusted, and the grips are long gone. I have two questions about this gun.

First, Flayderman and other show that there were about 25,000 of these guns made. While on mine the serial number on the barrel is indeterminable because the loading lever is rusted to the bottom of the barrel, there is a very clear stamping on right side of the brass frame underneath where the right grip would be: 41836. I'm assuming this is the serial number, which is also said to be stamped on the frame under the grip. But, if they were numbered sequentially from 1 on up (per Flayderman), and there were only 25,000 or so made, how does this have a serial number of 41836?

Second, Flayderman notes that there were a "very small undetermined quantity" of these with an iron spur trigger and brash sheathing. Could this be one of those, and the "serial number" somehow be a continuation of an earlier series of manufactured guns?

Many thanks to anyone who could share light on this.

Singleshot
CALIBRE44

Re: Relic New Model Pocket with Very High SN

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Not much I can tell you without pictures. There were 3 models produced, the brass frame was the first. Serial numbers from 1 to approx 150.
There is a possibility that you have an Italian copy, as they were made with brass frames.....Jim
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Jim,

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I can certainly photograph the gun and send some pictures attached to an email. But I'm kind of technologically challenged, and not sure how to actually move pictures from my iPad thing over to this site. Do you have an email I can send 'em to directly? Or, if you prefer, can I post my email and you can send an email to me and I can reply with the photos?

Dunno if I mentioned it, but the gun came out of old Mexico. If it is an Italian copy, it's been in the ground for a bunch of decades for sure judging from the depth of the pitting to all of the iron.

Best, Jeff
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Pardon my technological ignorance, but I think there are five photos of the subject gun attached.

Jeff
Attachments
IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0361.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 5098 times
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 5098 times
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 5098 times
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 5098 times
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 5098 times
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Someone more qualified than myself will have ad an answer to your questions. I have 2 thoughts, to my knowledge, 1 through approx 25,000 were made, 1 through 150 brass, sooo your serial number, can not be Remington, and my 2, and I only have 2, the stamped numbers seem to be smaller in size....All I believe have blade front sights...Jim
Last edited by CALIBRE44 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Thaks for the comeback, Jim.

So, let me make sure I follow you...You think that the gun IS authentically one of the 150 made by Remington with a brass frame, but the "serial number"--or whatever it is--was added LATER by someone or some organization OTHER than Remington, using a smaller number size than Remington uses. Is that basically what you're thinking is?

Related, do you know anyone who has any of the 150 brass framed guns that we could maybe get to pull the grips, so we could see if by any strange chance others in that group have a number there? Or, for that matter, any of the Italian brass frame knockoffs that could do the same, sowe could maybe put the question to bed for good?

Jeff
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Or, is your thinking that the gun isn't Remington at all but rather a relatively modern reproduction of the Remington brass frame model that's been under ground (or under water) for a long time?

Jeff
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Singleshot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:14 pm cone front sight correct?
cone front sight correct?

Cone front sight correct?
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Not sure I understand. "Correct" for what? I believe the Remington pockets normally had a blade front sight. Jeff
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Singleshot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:49 pm Not sure I understand. "Correct" for what? I believe the Remington pockets normally had a blade front sight. Jeff
I'm saying that looks like a cone front site or am I wrong?
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Yes, correct, it's a cone front sight. Jeff
aardq

Post by aardq »

There were 4 versions of the New Model Pocket. The earliest are the all brass, the last is the all iron, and it is unknown in what order the other two were made. I suspect the following is the correct order, and the brass sheathes were found and used up after the iron frame production began.
Brass frame - brass sheath
Brass frame - iron sheath
Iron frame - brass sheath
Iron frame - iron sheath

All have a low, blade front sight. All have the serial number stamped horizontally, on the left lower frame. My brass frame - iron sheath is #7608 An all iron is 25xxx.

I don't think that it is a Remington, but either a 19th century copy, or a modern replica. The sheath should blend in smoothly with the frame, and you's doesn't. The cylinder pin "wings" are square and they should be slightly rounded. Also the frame ahead of the sheath is more rounded than mine, and your back strap appears thicker.

Relics can make interesting displays, no mater when they were made.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

aardq wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:41 am There were 4 versions of the New Model Pocket. The earliest are the all brass, the last is the all iron, and it is unknown in what order the other two were made. I suspect the following is the correct order, and the brass sheathes were found and used up after the iron frame production began.
Brass frame - brass sheath
Brass frame - iron sheath
Iron frame - brass sheath
Iron frame - iron sheath

All have a low, blade front sight. All have the serial number stamped horizontally, on the left lower frame. My brass frame - iron sheath is #7608 An all iron is 25xxx.

I don't think that it is a Remington, but either a 19th century copy, or a modern replica. The sheath should blend in smoothly with the frame, and you's doesn't. The cylinder pin "wings" are square and they should be slightly rounded. Also the frame ahead of the sheath is more rounded than mine, and your back strap appears thicker.

Relics can make interesting displays, no mater when they were made.
And (I think) it has a cone sight :D
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Thanks, Aardq, this is very helpful! Jeff
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Aardq: I would like to see a picture of your brass frame with iron sheath. Jim