Method to remove stuck nipples

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Chuck T

Method to remove stuck nipples

Post by Chuck T »

I recently bought a 58 Remington to shoot because the bore was in excellent condition. The original nipples looked pretty good but wanted to replace them for safety & accuracy reasons as the base-holes varied in size & that would cause variances in pressure & bullet impact & may have had corrosion in the cone that could make them unable to handle the pressure.

The original nipples were frozen in place & could not be removed, soaking the cylinder in a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission & acetone for a couple days & all but one came out with a little pressure. Threads on the 6th nipple freed-up in a couple minutes after adding a couple more drops of acetone to both ends of the nipple.
NOTE; oil & acetone do not mix, it requires mixing, acetone encourages the oil to wick deep into rusted threads. Can use this mixture in a spray bottle to handle just about any rusted nut & bolt problem.

Original 58 Remington nipples have 225X32 threads, it's important to get replacements that match the length & specifications of the originals. For over 40 years I've used Treso brand in all of my original & replica percussion firearms because of their small base-hole size that provides a much hotter ignition & consistent pressure & the ampco alloy Treso uses will not rust & have lasted through many years of shooting. The Remington part number is 11-50-176 for a set of six. Downside is the ampco alloy has a brass color that doesn't look right in original guns but can change the color with Birchwood Casey brass-black or bluing applied with a Q-tip..
Chuck T
CALIBRE44

Re: Method to remove stuck nipples

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Good info. ChuckT...................................Jim
Henry II

Re: Method to remove stuck nipples

Post by Henry II »

Good stuff, Chuck T.
As to the nipple threads, are they .225x32 in all 58:s or do they differ by caliber and over time?