Request date of mfg. info.

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Chuck T

Request date of mfg. info.

Post by Chuck T »

I'm a long time shooter/collector of antique arms & recently bought a New Model Army to shoot because it had an excellent bore with Remington's progressive twist rifling & would like to know if you folks could tell me what year it was made or recommend a book I can buy to educate myself.

Despite having about 20% of the original bluing & a nice even patina serial numbers on the frame & barrel do not match & the barrel shows now signs of being swapped by an amateur. There is a large letter G stamped on frame under the right side grip panel perhaps that explains a re-work.
*Serial number on the frame is 11 7160 & there is a definite gap between the two-ones and rest of the serial numbers. There is also a larger #1 stamped near the front toe of the butt.
*The barrel's serial number is 92822.
Inspector stamp on the left grip appears to be CGC.
I would appreciate any information you can provide me with. Most of the guns I shoot pre-date the Remingtons, perhaps I can return the favor down the road.
Chuck T
billt

Re: Request date of mfg. info.

Post by billt »

Hi Chuck,
Your revolver was manufactured inDecember of 1864. It is not unusual for the barrel and frame serial numbers to not match. If a revolver did not pass inspection because of a defective frame the barrel and other parts were removed and used on later revolvers. I have cataloged over 40 revolvers with mis matched serial numbers most of them coming from the factory.
The cartouche is that of Charles G. Curtis a principal sub-inspector who was a civilian employee of the Ordnance Department during the Civil War.
billt

Post by billt »

Chuck,
Sorry I missed a part of your question about a book you can buy on educating yourself about Remington Revolvers. The book is REMINGTON ARMY AND NAVY REVOLVERS 1861 - 1888 by Donald Ware. It is the bible of Remington Percussion Revolvers.

Bill
Chuck T

Post by Chuck T »

Your information on my revolver is much appreciated Billt, I believe you are correct. In my research online I read that in 1864 & I think 65 Remington was unable to fulfill their contract quotas so got permission from the war dept. to re-work defective frames so they would pass inspection so they could meet quota demands.
As stated there is also a large G stamped on the frame under the right grip , do you have any idea what this represents ? I'll try to include 2 photos in this posting of the G & the unusual spacing of the serial numbers. are stamped.Image
I'll be adding a copy of the book you recommended to my firearms library..
Attachments
Photo of G stamp
Photo of G stamp
IMG_2727.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2394 times
Photo, odd spacing of serial numbers
Photo, odd spacing of serial numbers
IMG_2728.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 2394 times
billt

Post by billt »

The spacing between the numbers varies because the numbers were individually stamped so the "unusual spacing" is not really unusual. I have not seen a revolver with the large "G" stamped on the frame. I have however seen a large "C" which means the frame was condemned by the Ordnance Department. Revolvers with the large "C" were sold to the civilian trade.

Bill