New member and a what is it......

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
gregintenn

New member and a what is it......

Post by gregintenn »

I believe it is a 38 rimfire, either cartridge conversion, or a factory built gun. I've not been able to learn much concrete information on it thus far. I'm glad to have found this forum, and hope someone here might find this revolver of some interest. Thanks for looking.

Greg
CALIBRE44

Re: New member and a what is it......

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Greg: If the barrel address is readable it should say "NEW MODEL". "REMINGTON NEW MODEL NAVY REVOLVER" It has been converted to cartridge, or more likely left the factory as a cartridge gun. It does appear to be complete, grips could be original, if not, it would have had wooden stocks. Octagon barrel 7.375" inches and .38 rim fire calibre. Serial numbers started around 23,000, with approx 22,00 produced. High late number circa 1875. ...............Jim
gregintenn

Post by gregintenn »

Thank you, sir, for the information.

I picked this up at an auction for $250. I figured the ivory grips were worth that. It doesn't have much finish left, but the action is tight and smooth as new, and the screws don't appear to be buggered. I think it's a pretty cool piece of history, even though ammo isn't available.

I did find it odd that the serial numbers aren't evenly spaced, but look the same in all three places.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Ammo, of sorts, may be available for your new find or should I say steal. Nice find!!

Dixie Gun Works sells (or sold) 38 rim fire cases that use 22 blanks for the primer. It's slow hand loading but may be worth the effort if you want to have a bit of fun.

I've used them in a 38 rim fire rifle and they work ok.

Another option might be to swap out the rim fire hammer for a center fire one if that's possible. That way you could use the weapon for a bit of fun and still retain it's value as you still have the original hammer that can be reinstalled as needed. Maybe one of the pistol experts can jump in here and help answer that question.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Many years ago (when it was still legal to shoot handguns here in the UK ) I had a Remington in .46 rim fire. I bought a hammer for a percussion replica and ground it down to make it centre fire. Using .44 special cases it worked well.
gregintenn

Post by gregintenn »

dieNusse1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:56 am Ammo, of sorts, may be available for your new find or should I say steal. Nice find!!

Dixie Gun Works sells (or sold) 38 rim fire cases that use 22 blanks for the primer. It's slow hand loading but may be worth the effort if you want to have a bit of fun.

I've used them in a 38 rim fire rifle and they work ok.

Another option might be to swap out the rim fire hammer for a center fire one if that's possible. That way you could use the weapon for a bit of fun and still retain it's value as you still have the original hammer that can be reinstalled as needed. Maybe one of the pistol experts can jump in here and help answer that question.
I was at Dixie Gun Works a couple of weeks ago and thought about buying some of those, but decided against it.