Remington 1858 revolver. No 135044

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Artist

Remington 1858 revolver. No 135044

Post by Artist »

Hi,
I live in Southampton, England, and have just bought a Remington 1858 pistol.
the serial numbers on the frame, barrel, and trigger guard tongue all match, the numbers on the rear of the cylinder seem to indicate that it is not part of the original set !.
The frame s/no is 135044, the numbers on the cylinder are 4120.
The pistol has been re-blued, and the mechanism has been overhauled.(really nice and crisp).
it has a 6" barrel, with good bore.
the butt has a lanyard ring installed.
i would appreciate any information on the history of this pistol, and possibly a date of manufacture.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike Smith
CALIBRE44

Re: Remington 1858 revolver. No 135044

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Mike..."billt" is our resident expert on the 58. Is it percussion or converted to cartridge, if converted the cylinder # won't match. I'm sure he will reply as soon as he sees your request..........Jim
Artist

Post by Artist »

This pistol is an original percussion firearm.
i have no further info as to it's origin.
cheers
Mike
billt

Post by billt »

Hi Mike,
Your revolver was manufactured in February of 1865. There were no serial numbers on the cylinder on New Model Army Revolvers unless there was some hand fitting needed to insure the revolver operated properly. In that case numbers were stamped on the cylinder to enable the cylinders to be matched to the frames after the bluing process was completed. The original barrel length was 8 inches which means the barrel on your revolver was cut to 6 inches. The original revolver did not have a lanyard ring so one was added to your revolver, probably at the time the barrel was cut.

I hope this information is helpful,

Cheers,
Bill
Artist

Post by Artist »

Thank you for dating this pistol, the reduction of the barrel to 6" appears to be a professional job, as does the lanyard ring.
was this a common modification ? is it a military or civilian issue ?
Anyway, your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Happy New Year

Cheers

Mike Smith
billt

Post by billt »

I have seen New Model Armies with cut barrels and some with lanyard rings but not very many. If there is a cartouche on the left grip and or small letters stamped on the major parts of the revolver (barrel, frame, cylinder, trigger guard and loading lever) it was purchased by the Ordnance Department during the civil war. If there are no marks or cartouche it may have been a civilian revolver. I say may because the letters may have been removed when the revolver was refinished and cartouches have been known to wear off if the revolver had a rough life.

Bill