What side got the Remington 1858 ?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
docent

What side got the Remington 1858 ?

Post by docent »

My wife and I were on a tour of the south, and we visited several Civil War battlefields.
I also, own the Remington 1858 pistol, that were issued to the officers.( I believe)

Did both sides, Union and Confederates, have this gun? Or was it only issued to the Union?

I've been looking for a book on the Civil War, that talks about the weapons, but can't seem
to find any. Found a couple books, that talked about the Colt, but not too much on the
Remingtons.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Docent
aardq

Re: What side got the Remington 1858 ?

Post by aardq »

Hi Docent,

There were 3 large frame, Remington pistols used in the Civil War. The first was the Beals, today called the Old Model, the 1861 model, and the 1863, or new model. Most are called an 1858 because of the patent date on the barrel. An internet search should produce pictures of the different models.

While the Colt was the primary pistol used by the Union, the Remington was also used as a secondary arm, and the US bought about equal amounts of both guns. Pistols were issued to officers, cavalry, artillery, and other non-infantry units. Some units, and some individuals, bought their own pistols.

Military issue pistols have inspectors marks on various parts, and a cartouche stamped into the left grip. Civilian guns, including private purchases, had no marks, but may still have been used by soldiers. The serial number is on the bottom of the barrel and the bottom of the left grip frame. If military issue, a serial look up will tell when the gun was made.

Both sides used Remingtons. The CSA got their guns, including some Remingtons, where ever they could including "strawman" purchases by sympathizers, but I am unaware that they bought directly from Remington. They also picked up arms on battlefields and from captured soldiers.

There are a few books on Civil War guns, check on line, but if only interested in one gun, an on line search will probably get you the info you want.

Good luck.
docent

Post by docent »

Thank you for that information. I wish there were more books on civil war guns
out there.
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

What aardq said above, however in 1863 Remington produced a smaller frame revolvers. They were the Rider DA and the Belt SA models in 1863, .36cal, however there is no indication that they were bought by either side during the Civil War. Perhaps the company was dragging their feet in production and that is why we see a large number left the factory as cartridge guns....Jim