Beautiful condition 1858 Remington New Model

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Old Ford

Beautiful condition 1858 Remington New Model

Post by Old Ford »

Hi, Newbie here!?
I have a Remington 1858 New Model, cal. 44
Serial # is 47013, this number is stamped under the barrel, under the ram, and on the left side, under the grip, number 7013 is stamped on the back of the cylinder.
Letters BH is stamped on the left grip, numbers 7013 is written with pencil on the inside of the grips.
Letter "L" is stamped on the frame behind the left shield.
Letter "C" is stamped on the front of the trigger guard, on the barrel in front of the cylinder in front of the cylinder.
Letter " S" is stamped on the under side of the barrel in front of the ram latch, letter "S" is also stamped on the frame under the trigger guard.
Could you please tell me when it was made?
I would be happy to post pictures if I knew how.
This fine old revolver is in beautiful condition, the deep blue is about 85% through out, edges have the bluing slightly worn off, grips look like they just came off a modern reproduction, but they have been on the gun for at least 50 years, as the gun has been in my friend's safe for that long.
My friend wants me to sell this gun, but I have to find out more about it.
Thank you & best regards!
For got to mention, in fine print on top of the barrel the paten dates SEPT.14. 1858, and REMINGTON & SONS
with Remington address
Fred
admin
Site Admin

Re: Beautiful condition 1858 Remington New Model

Post by admin »

scroll down click attachments and your on your way.
Old Ford

Post by Old Ford »

I hope someone can help me.
The Remington New Model ser. # 47013 may have been made in1862
I hope to find a new home for someone who cares, the owner's health is failing quickly and would like to give the money to his wife who needs it.
I have no real method of finding the gun's real value.
Thank you for any help.
Old Ford
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Put it on gunbroker.com with good photos it's an auction so it should rise to the appropriate price. You could also look there for like sales on what to expect.
billt

Post by billt »

Hi Fred,
Your friend’s revolver was shipped to the Ordnance Department in November of 1863. The various letters stamped on the major parts are inspector marks. The BH stamped on the left grip is the cartouche of Benjamin Hannis an Armory Sub-inspector and indicates the revolver was accepted by the Ordnance Department.

I hope this helps,

Bill
Old Ford

Post by Old Ford »

Hello Bill,
Thank you for the most valued information.
Best regards!
Fred