1858 NEW MODEL SER # 28750

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
sailingmj36

1858 NEW MODEL SER # 28750

Post by sailingmj36 »

Just joined ! I have just acquired 1858 NEW MODEL SER # 28750. Is there anyone who can help me find out any information about my pistol. I have checked Serial number on bottom of barrel, under the grip on left side of grip frame and all serial numbers match - 28750. Is there any way to find out the manufacture date or where it was issued. There was one nipple missing. I own a UBERTI 1858 replica and had some extra nipples from it. I put one in and it fit perfectly! I have cleaned and oiled and and have fired 4 times. I understand that was probably risky :( but i just had to try it! I have fired close to a 1000 rounds through my Uberti repo and felt very comfortable upon inspection after cleaning. There is a "P" stamped on trigger guard and a "W" and a "V" on the cylinder. (note:the W and V are not next to each other). (It would be awesome if Mike Strietbeck or anyone else could find out any info).

Thanks!

sailingmj
billt

Re: 1858 NEW MODEL SER # 28750

Post by billt »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. Your revolver was manufactured and shipped to the Ordnance Department in July of 1863. The various letters stamped on the major parts are inspection marks. There should be a cartouche stamped on the left grip indicating the revolver was accepted by the Ordnance Department. If the revolver was well used the cartouche may have been worn off. There should also be a serial number or a part of one stamped on the trigger guard tab. Unfortunately there are no records of to whom the revolver was issued.

I hope this information helps,

Bill
sailingmj36

Post by sailingmj36 »

Bill

Thank you very much for the info. That's very exciting to know! I will check under the trigger guard as well. There is just a sliver left of the cartouche on the left. If a person did not know it was what was left of the cartouche they would not even recognize what it is. I am not an investor or "collector" , but i love the history of the firearm and i love having an original of my Uberti replica. Also, the gun shoots perfect! :wink:

sailingmj
aardq

Post by aardq »

Is the gun a 36 Navy, or a 44 Army? If Army, the given info is correct. If a Navy, then the date would be July, 1864.