Would like information on my Remington navy

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Patbar

Would like information on my Remington navy

Post by Patbar »

Hi everybody,
I have a Remington navy, serial 21240, with the old model barrel marked 'patented dec 17,1861/manufactured by Remington, Ilion,NY' and having the cone front sight.
The loading lever is of the 1861 model type, but the cylinder pin is of the new model type.
Could you please tell me when it was manufactured and if I must consider this revolver as a model 1861 or a transitional 1863 model ?
Thanks for your help.
Here is a picture of the gun the grips are not original) :
Attachments
Remington 1861 gauche rebronze.jpg
Remington 1861 gauche rebronze.jpg (141.06 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
billt

Re: Would like information on my Remington navy

Post by billt »

Hello,
Your revolver was manufactured in March of 1863. I think you should call it an Elliot – New Model Transition Revolver since it has characteristics of both revolvers. The loading lever is from an Elliot but has had the rear of the rails milled off to accommodate the New Model arbor pin. The high spur hammer of the Beal’s-Elliot revolver has been replaced with the low spur New Model type. The cylinder has safety notches characteristic of late Elliot and New Model revolvers. Don Ware states in his book, Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861 – 1888, that Elliot – New Model Navy transition revolvers were in the late 19,000 to 22,000 serial number range of which yours fits nicely.

I hope this helps,

Bill
Patbar

Re: Would like information on my Remington navy

Post by Patbar »

Bill, Thank you very much for these most interesting informations !
It sure helps.
Pat