need wisdom from BILLT 1858 new model

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
cfryecw

need wisdom from BILLT 1858 new model

Post by cfryecw »

Hello , first time to forum,
I feel sorry to ask another 1858 serial number manufacture date , but it's my first civil war purchase and wondering on the guns history. Remington 1858 3 lines on top of barrel last line new army model. Serial number is 33449. I took off grips and frame has same number, However I did notice both wooden grips have the same number marked on the inside portion in pencil? Was this normally done in factory? Is this original? Yes there is a cartouche it appears to be small two letters the second is a H?
Would appreciate any help from the guru!
thanks Chuck
Attachments
W1224J.jpg
W1224J.jpg (62.85 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
billt

Re: need wisdom from BILLT 1858 new model

Post by billt »

Hello Chuck,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first WC purchase. Your revolver was made in August of 1863. I have seen numerous revolvers with the serial number or a part of it written in pencil on the grips. I believe this is the result of some sanding of the grips necessary to insure a proper fit to the frame and would enable the factory to match the correct grips to the revolver once the finish was applied to the metal parts and the revolver was assembled. The two letters in the cartouche look like BH for Benjamin Hannis an Armory Sub-inspector who inspected Remington revolvers.

I hope this information is helpful,

Bill
cfryecw

Re: need wisdom from BILLT 1858 new model

Post by cfryecw »

Yes that's extremely helpful and fast-thank you for the help! I'm very glad to hear it's in the civil war years. I've heard there is a place to look up the serial number and if your lucky you may find out where it was issued. Do you know of a site like that?