Need Info on a 1858 Patented Remington Revolver

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
sheriff

Need Info on a 1858 Patented Remington Revolver

Post by sheriff »

I recently traded for an old Remington Revolver described as follows: Cal. 44, percussion, with Patent date Sept. 14,1858, 8" barrel, serial # 18362 with the
following listed inspector marks: Left side- "W" on receiver at barrel, "U" on frame at rear of trigger guard, "E" on front end of trigger guard, "J" and "S" on Cylinder.

Right side - "J" on barrel at receiver, "J" on receiver at Barrel

Cartouche on right grip at bottom. The first letter appears to be an "O" possibly a "C" other two letters worn to much to read.

I would appreciate any information that is available.

:D

Jim
Attachments
Remington 1858 Serial #18362 LS.JPG
Remington 1858 Serial #18362 LS.JPG (163.03 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
Remington 1858 Serial # 18362 RS.JPG
Remington 1858 Serial # 18362 RS.JPG (164.78 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
billt

Re: Need Info on a 1858 Patented Remington Revolver

Post by billt »

Jim,
Your revolver is a New Model Army, which was manufactured in April of 1863. According to Don Ware’s book Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861 – 1888, there are two known inspection cartouches which could match the one on your revolver. One inspection cartouche starting with an O is OWA for O.W. Ainsworth and one starting with a C is C.G.C for C.G. Curtis.

Bill
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

Thanks Bill. I just thought it a little odd with the Cartouche being on the right grip when most are on the left.

Is there any information available on shipping information, Maybe to what part of the country it might have went to?

Thanks for you help Sir.

Jim
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

Also after looking at the Cartouche under a mirco it appears to be "CHA".

Jim
billt

Post by billt »

Jim,
Most cartouches are on the left grip but I have seen them on the right as well. I have a Beals Army with double cartouches, one on each grip. All of the revolvers were shipped to the Army Ordnance Department. They were issued from there to the various companies. There are no records of which units they were assigned to. CHA does not match any known cartouche.

Bill
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

Thanks Bill, I thought there might have been some info on file about where they were assigned, but that has been a while ago. lol.

Thanks for you help.

I also have an old Remington Rolling Block pistol in 22 S caliber. It is in great condition other than it is missing the grip. Do you have any idea where someone might find a one piece grip for this old pistol. The serial number on this pistol is 919. I think it is a model 1891.

I even sent an email to Uberti inquiring about a grip because they copied it at one time, but no luck there either.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Jim
billt

Post by billt »

Jim,
I have never seen a grip for any Remington rolling block pistol (Army or Navy framed) for sale. You might try posting in the “WTB” forum on the Remington Site.

Bill
sheriff

Post by sheriff »

Thanks Sir. I will try that.

Have a great day.

Jim