Yet another NMA 1858 serial and history question :)

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
SwedishRemington

Yet another NMA 1858 serial and history question :)

Post by SwedishRemington »

Hi guys!

Ima collector up in Sweden that recently got myself interested in Remington and just bought my first pice, before this i mostly bought and sold muskets and riders pistols so i hope u guys can shead som light on what i bought and maybe what the value on it could be aprox?

I recently bought an old pre 1890s black powder Remington New model army on auction here in Sweden and I was wondering if you had any info at all about the production year. And if possible, se if it was an military issue or an sold to the ordinary market etc.

I´ve searched a lot my self, but can´t really find anything substantial.

The info i can read of the parts is as follows.

Serial no. 98293

Markings/stamps.
D on the barrel
R on the "body"
R and A on the barrel
H on the brass trigger guard

Really would appreciate any help i can get in gathering info on the gun!

Kind regards //Jonathan
billt

Re: Yet another NMA 1858 serial and history question :)

Post by billt »

Hello Jonathan,
Your New Model Army was manufactured in September of 1864. The letters stamped on the various parts are government inspection marks. After completing the inspection process the Principal Sub-Inspector would have stamped his cartouche on the outside of the left grip so if there is a cartouche the revolver went to the military. If there is no cartouche it may have had one originally and it wore off during use. With all of the major parts having inspection marks I suspect it went to the military. I cannot comment on the value because I have not seen the revolver and the value depends on the condition.

I hope this helps,

Bill