Remington Army New Model .44

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
phil virgin

Remington Army New Model .44

Post by phil virgin »

Hello,

My first post!
I am from the United Kingdom and wonder if anyone can help me identify the following revolver.
Remington Army New Model .44 serial number 16411 the trigger guard has a D, the frame has a P on the left side and J & W on the right side, the barrel has a J on the right side also. The cylinder has a P and a W at the nipple end and number 11 at the back end of the cylinder when removed.
I hope someone can help me please.

Phil
billt

Re: Remington Army New Model .44

Post by billt »

Hello Phil,
I am not sure what you mean by identifying the revolver. You have already stated it is a New Model Army with the serial number of 16411. If you wan to know the meaning of the letters and number stamped on the parts I can help. From the serial number the revolver was made in March of 1863. The various letters stamped on the parts are from the Government Sub-Inspectors who approved the parts. There should be a cartouche stamped on the left grip from the Principal Sub-Inspector indicating the revolver passed inspection. The cartouche may be very light or completely worn off due to use. The number 11 on the cylinder means the cylinder had to undergo some special fitting to properly work with the revolver. To my knowledge there are no records as to whom the revolver was issued.

I hope this helps,

Bill
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Phil,
do you have any picture of your gun?
Regards
phil virgin

Post by phil virgin »

Hello Bill,

Sorry, yes I knew what it was but I was really asking if anyone could help with any history or date of manufacture, this you have done and I thank you for that.
Regarding a cartouche, there is what looks to be a faint 3/4 oval impression on the left grip but thats all. I thought a cartouche was rectangular with rounded corners?.
Would it help to remove the grips for more information that would help you?
I will take a couple of pictures for you.

Thank you for your reply, hope to hear from you again soon.

Best

Phil
phil virgin

Post by phil virgin »

Hello Bill,

Here are 3 photo's of the pistol, cartouche?? not convinced.
Looks also like one cylinder has been sleeved, what do you think?

Best

Phil
Attachments
Photo as discussed.<br /><br />Phil
Photo as discussed.

Phil
DSC00855.jpg (28.9 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Photo as requested<br /><br />Phil
Photo as requested

Phil
DSC00857.jpg (26.47 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Photo as requested and two more to follow.<br /><br />Phil
Photo as requested and two more to follow.

Phil
DSC00854.jpg (33.45 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
phil virgin

Post by phil virgin »

Hello Bill,

Regarding the sleeved cylinder if that is what it is, unlike the photo which looks like it has small gaps around it and bad fitting it is absolutely perfect and smooth, they are just dirty marks.

Best

Phil
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Very nice, you are a lucky man ! some question about the SN mine is 12051 and is not the same as yours ?
billt

Post by billt »

Phil,
From you picture the cylinder seems to be sleeved. My guess is that a shooter had it done in recent times. I know there are strict laws in Europe about only using original antique guns and parts so a sleeved original would be legal whereas a reproduction cylinder would not. As far as the cartouche outline being oval or a rounded rectangle, I checked several of my revolvers and found a rectangle with square corners, a rectangle with rounded corners and an oval, so I would not worry about the shape of the cartouche border. I also have a Smith carbine with an oval cartouche.

Bill
phil virgin

Post by phil virgin »

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your reply once again.....
The bore is beautiful as are the nipples, it looks like the pistol has not had a lot of wear and tear.
In the U.K. you can own all types of vintage firearms over a certain age and display them, but once shot, it will then become a firearm that requires a firearms certificate and would have to be locked up.
How it would be able to return to the market once registered I don't know unless a collector with a F.C. used it but owned it as an antique only.
The above includes flintlocks as well! and of course all replicas require a F.C. new or used.

Thank you once again

Best

Phil
phil virgin

Post by phil virgin »

Hello Abraham,

I'm not quite sure what you mean about your serial number not being the same as mine.
Your revolver is older hence the lower number and morticed foresight etc.
I'm sure Bill can help you with your questions and differences.

Cheers

Phil