1858 Remington

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
carbineone

1858 Remington

Post by carbineone »

Actually I think officially it is likley a 1863. But everyone seems to refer to them all as 1858s.

Anyway just traded for a new one the other day and hope someone has some info for me on it.

Serial number is 81588 There is a W on the trigger guard, W on left side of barrel flat. P on the opposite side of the barrel flat. Maybe a F on the bottom barrel flat ahead of the loading latch. D on the cylinder between the notches. W on the left side of the frame just below the hammer. No cartouche present on the grips anymore.

Has a great bore and cylinders and I have some new repro nipples coming this week..

Anyway anything you might know as far as date, where it was sent would be greatly appreciated.. I will post a pic shortly.

As you can see I need a original or good aftermarket cylinder pin. Any ideas where to look appreciated? Thanks

billt

Re: 1858 Remington

Post by billt »

Hi,
Your revolver was shipped to the Army Ordinance Department in June of 1864. There are no records of where it went from there. You may be able to get a cylinder pin from Dixie Gun Works. It looks like the loading lever latch on the underside of the barrel is a replacement also.

Bill
carbineone

Re: 1858 Remington

Post by carbineone »

Thanks Bill,I appreciate the dating of it. I have only owned one other original, so it certainly could be a replacement latch, as I do not recall what my other one looked like..

Had to go look at some pics to refresh my failing memory. I will post a pic of the latch mod in the daylight tomorrow. You are right, I remember the screw in post now. This looks to be a mod someone did a long time ago to keep the lever from becoming dislodged during firing. Looks to have been done very well, and looks to have been with the revolver a very long time. Likely a period Smith modification. Not a Bubba job.

It does not bother me at all. This is a shooter, and that is what I will do with it occasionally.