Information Requested on BEALS Patent Rem 1858 36 Caliber

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
oyeme

Information Requested on BEALS Patent Rem 1858 36 Caliber

Post by oyeme »

I am not knowledgeable at all about these early Remington revolvers. The one in this ad on Gunbroker has a serial number of 76 and is a .36 caliber. Can anyone shed any light on such an early version of the 1858 percussion revolvers? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Bill
813-818-4706

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =490559916
Mike Strietbeck

Re: Information Requested on BEALS Patent Rem 1858 36 Calibe

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Take a close look at the photos in the listing. Photo # 12 and 13 clearly show that this is not one of the single wing Beals Navy revolvers. With the double wing cylinder pin, and the frame cut both sides to fit it, but with the serial number being two digit, something just doesn't add up. Was the revolver modified after it left the factory from a single to a double?, was the serial number modified?, is this a new variation? Not sure I agree with the grading at Very Good. I'd want to do some good research (hands on) before making a healthy investment.

Good Luck

Mike Strietbeck
oyeme

Post by oyeme »

Mr. Strietbeck,

Thank you very much for your input! The condition code was based on the NRA definition and my interpretation of same. I know some may not agree, and since as stated I am no expert, than I will accept your assessment. The bore is in quite a decent condition but I don't think that is a big factor on antique guns. If anything was modified on this revolver it was done so before our family got it which was at least 85+ years ago. So what happened prior to that time via modifications or not, would be pure conjecture on my part. Again I am no expert but for what it is worth, the serial number under magnification seems to have been stamped by the same style of tool in both places shown.

Thank you for the clarification on the double VS single wing. I did not know what was meant by "wings" and it was not an attempt to deceive. I will enter your clarification of what constitutes single VS double wings into the ad by tomorrow. As for a hands on evaluation; you are very welcome to handle this revolver all you want, and to view it under any form of magnification you desire. I am located in Tampa, Fl and I am providing my phone number to assist you in such a "hands on" evaluation. Thanks again for the information. It is precisely the type of input I needed!

Bill
813-818-4706 h
813-205-0106 c
aardq

Post by aardq »

In his book on Remington Army and Navy pistols, Don Ware believes that when the design changes were made on the single wing pistols, the new versions were serialed from the number 1. I don't believe that he gave a reason other than there are duplicate numbers on the "regular" Beals Navies.
oyeme

Post by oyeme »

aardq wrote:In his book on Remington Army and Navy pistols, Don Ware believes that when the design changes were made on the single wing pistols, the new versions were serialed from the number 1. I don't believe that he gave a reason other than there are duplicate numbers on the "regular" Beals Navies.
Thank you once again for this information. If Mr. Ware "believes" it, then I believe it. As always, this forum is full of very knowledgeable and helpful collectors. Thank you for the information and it is undoubtedly what happened that a later version of the Beals with all the modifications, when first produced might have a new "lot" of serial numbers assigned. Great information and thank you very much for taking the time to bring it to my attention.

Bill