yet, yet another serialnr question (1858 navy rider belt )

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
sweerik

yet, yet another serialnr question (1858 navy rider belt )

Post by sweerik »

Hi, first post ...

I have a Remington-Rider Double Action New Model Belt Revolver. with nickel finish.
Serialnr 3866 (on all parts except grips)
Any info att all would be MUCH appreciated
Erik

P.s spelling is not my strong point, and English is not my native
billt

Re: yet, yet another serialnr question (1858 navy rider belt

Post by billt »

Hello Erik,
According to Flayderman’s Guide to Antique American Firearms from three to five thousand Rider Double Action Belt Revolvers were manufactured from 1863 to 1873. They were first made in 36-caliber percussion and later in 38-caliber rim-fire metallic cartridge using a two-piece cylinder. They were made with various finishes, overall nickel plated, blued and some with nickel plated frames and blued barrels. Some were silver-plated.

Hope this helps.

Bill
sweerik

Post by sweerik »

Thanx :D

Little bit odd when my revolver sure is percussion but has that high serial.

btw, anyone know if its possible to find spare parts for these ?
I got a broken pin (the one that hold the hammer before the trigger let it go) and a semi broken cylinder bolt.

Erik
billt

Post by billt »

Erik,
I cannot help you out with the pin but when you say cylinder bolt if you are referring to the cylinder stop I do have a drawing which I had made several years ago that I could e-mail you. You could then take it to a local machine shop and have one fabricated.

Bill
sweerik

Post by sweerik »

Ohhh thanx ALOT
PM sent with Email

Erik
Little_BigMan

Re: yet, yet another serialnr question (1858 navy rider belt )

Post by Little_BigMan »

I'm trying to find a couple of things out about the Remington Rider Belt Revolver (.36) produced between 1863, and I think about 1873, as follows: 1) I assume it was double/single action (not just DA only) based on descriptions I have seen about surviving models, true?; 2) About when, in 1863, was Remington turning this model out for sale? If anyone can assist with that information it is greatly appreciated! A good day to everyone.
billt

Post by billt »

Hi,
You assumed correctly. The Rider Belt revolver worked as a single or double action revolver. Unfortunately there are no production records listing the monthly quantities shipped.

Bill
billt

Post by billt »

Hi,
You assumed correctly. The Rider Belt revolver worked as a single or double action revolver. Unfortunately there are no production records listing the monthly quantities shipped.

Bill
Little_BigMan

Post by Little_BigMan »

Great information. Thanks so much for getting back!
aardq

Post by aardq »

I will have to disagree with my friend, Bill. The Belt is a SA only model, while the Belt D/A, or as some called it, a Rider is DA only, and it is not recommended to fire it SA. They use most of the same parts, but the frame and springs are different.

OK Bill, your turn to disagree with me. ; )
Dan
Little_BigMan

Post by Little_BigMan »

I really do appreciate all of the information. I am however, now thoroughly confused. Sorry.
aardq

Post by aardq »

You're not alone in your confusion. It was thought that the DA was made first, and the SA came several months later. It is believed that both were 1863 to 1873, first as percussion, then later as conversion models in .38rf. It was also thought that they were serialed separately, but the new research by Jim (on here) seems to indicate that they were sequentially numbered as if one model, since only one duplicate number (10) has turned up. That duplicate may be a special, custom gun, which were usually given letters, or single, or double serials. We will need a lot more research to get to any real answers.

Dan