1875 info??

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
ozziphil

1875 info??

Post by ozziphil »

Hi Guys,
I have recently purchased an Egyptian contract 1875 Remington .44 cal pistol.I understand that these models were made to send to the Egyptian government which never eventuated but was wondering where they ended up.Did any of the consignment leave the U.S or were they just sold off to the civilian market within the U.S?
Also I was wondering about a stamp on the bottom strap of the grip near the lanyard ring.There is PH 3 stamped there and was told it could read Parker Hale but not sure what the 3 would refer to.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Phil
gmaque

Re: 1875 info??

Post by gmaque »

Phil
The 75 Egyptians are interesting and are the first 75's. They are all from the first sequentially marked batch. They were chambered in .44 Remington, not .44 WCF. With the introduction and popularity of the .44 WCF and the problems with the Egyptian contract, the .44 Remington quickly became obsolete. It is generally believed that a few of the "Egyptians" probably left the country, but how manyand where to is unknown. There is one on display in the British Museum. I think it is engraved as having belonged to a British officer. I've seen a couple of 75's in .44 Remington that have rack numbers on them and are believed to have come from a South American police department. The guns that were built under contract for the Egyptian government will have military inspection marks on them and may have a cartouche in the grip. Some of these contract guns were converted to .45 WCF and were sold to the Mexican government in a shipment of about 1000 guns. I have a Mexican 75 that has both Mexican and Egyptian markings. Hope this helps.
George
GBA
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Hi George: I have a 75 with the "44" markings on the grips..Serial in the 200 range..Where would the marking be located?? I don't see any markings, not even factory inspection marks??....Jim
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

Jim
You probably won't find any inspectors marks on your 75. As you probably know, your gun is not a "Egyptian" model. Most likely your gun is a civilian model. The .44 marking on the grip indicates the gun is chambered in .44 WCF (44-40). The 75 Egyptians were chambered in .44 Remington have no caliber marking on them. When Remington introduced 75's in .44 WCF they decided it was neccessary to identify the caliber on each gun. The first place the caliber was marked was on the grips. Some were marked 44 and some were marked 44W. Later the marking was moved to the left side of the frame between the rear of the barrel and the front of the cylinder. The final location is on the bow of the trigger guard. Since your 75 has the 44 on the grip and is in the 200 serial range it is most likely a early batch number gun. I've always liked the 75's with the caliber marked on the grip. They are kinda hard to find since they are early guns and often the mark on the grip just wore away. Thanks for the question, hope this helps and didn't confuse.
George
GBA
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Thanks, but I am a little confused.. I believe my gun is chambered for the 44 Colt/Remington. The 44 S&W does not chamber.( only goes part way in) 45 Colt is too big to chamber. I always thought that the grip marked guns were 44 Colt/Remington as I believe my is..I donot have a 44-40 to try in the gun..I do agree the early ones had grip markings and later moved to frame and trigger guard and were 44-40 I believe and some rebored for 45...Jim
Last edited by CALIBRE44 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

Jim
Your 75 is interesting. I rechecked my records and books on factory 75 calibers and can find no reference to any in .44 Colt. Everything I have says three calibers were offered comericially, .44 Remington, .44 WCF (44-40), and .45 Government. The .45 will accept either .45 Government or .45 Colt. There are other possibilities worth consideration. Your cylinder may have been modified to accept a cartridge other than a .44 WCF. The grips on your gun may have been changed, but that's doubtful. If your gun was orginally in .44 Remington the rim thickness would be different than that of a .44 WCF. The .44 Remington is thinner so even if you could get a .44 WCF into the cylinder you couldn't rotate it because the rim would be too thick. A quick, dirty way to check is to see if a quarter will slip in between the back of the cylinder and the recoil shield. If it won't fit, the chambering is most likely .44 Remington. Hopefully, another reader will weigh in on this discussion and we'll all learn some more.
George
GBA
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Interesting!!...Logan's Cartridges references: 44 Colt-Remington,..1 1/16 in copper straight case, .456 dia., 225 gr. conical, flat nose lead bullet, 30 grs. black powder. Packaging: 12 "Martin" cartridges for Colt & Remington Revolvers...Calibre44...Powder 30...Bullet 225 grains...Frankford Arsenal, Pa...June 1871...Pat. March 23, 1869 - February 14, 1971..If I get motivated and can find some wax I cast one of the cylinders to confirm .44 or .44w..Perhaps a cartridge expert will find this thread and chime in...I have Colt 1872 Open Top's that I think use the same cartridge...Jim
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Here's a photo of the page listing the .44 Remington. Note that example 4 is the .44 Colt. George has it pegged with the three calibers the 75 is chambered for, but I am working on a project to investigate the 450 Boxer and 455 Webley for the London market.

I'd like to see a photo of the cylinder in question as well as the dimension of the gap between the rear of the cylinder and the face of the frame.

Mike Strietbeck
44REM.jpg
44REM.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 3602 times
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.