Remington 1861 Marked with a "B"

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
OX

Remington 1861 Marked with a "B"

Post by OX »

I recently acquired an 1861 Remington pistol. The only markings I can find is a B on the barrel at the rear left side and the same B on the cylinder. Can anyone tell me if this is of any significance.

The pistol belonged to an ancestor of mine who was a river boat captain. He ran from Ohio to Cairo, IL on the Mississippi River.
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

The marks are probable sub-inspector marks (last name initial). If the pistol is a .36 (Navy Model)) or .44 (Army Model) caliber it was most was likely issued to the military during the Civil War. These pistols are call "Old Model" by collectors and were issued only for about one year. Look closely on the front of the trigger guard just behind the screw and see if there might be another inspector mark there. There is usually another on the frame just ahead of the cylinder on the left side. These marks can sometimes be weak and you have to look closely to see them. Lastly closely examine the grips just below the grip screw to see if you can find a cartouch (oval shape with inspectors initials) this would be the final inspectors mark. Some pistols will have a cartouch on both grips but most will be found on the left grip.