Dating 1858 Remington

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Duncan71

Dating 1858 Remington

Post by Duncan71 »

Hey all, first post here and very happy to be here! I'm in need of manufacture dates on my 1858 - serial number is "51468".  It also has "W" marks on the cylinder, right frontside of frame, rear leftside of the frame and loading lever.  I believe the trigger gaurd and barrel are replacements.  Also, a very faint cartouche remains on the left stock.  Any help is appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Duncan
Ryden

Re: Dating 1858 Remington

Post by Ryden »

Hi Duncan and welcome!
From my search of dated SN here I'd say it was made (accepted) in January 1864, but wait until Mike Strietbeck comes along, he will know for sure.

Have you removed the grips and trigger guard?
Serial number is found on the grip frame, on the ínside of the trigger guard and on the underside of the barrel. If the serials don't match up then something has indeed been replaced.

Intresting that you only have "W" sub-inspector marks.
My own NMA seems to have most of the alfabet on it.

Cheers!
/Anders

Oh! and...
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Your Remington New Model Army revolver, serial number 51468, is part of the shipment of arms accepted by the Ordnance Derpt. during January 1864. They accepted 3001 Remington New Model Army revolvers, with serial numbers in the range of 51285 thru 54585. The first 1000 were the final shipment for the contract dated July 6, 1863, and the balance (2001) were against the contract dated November 21, 1863.
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
gundeus

Post by gundeus »

Hi Mike, this is my first post as well... I recently purchased a 1858 new model navy at a local estate auction and the serial number is 1498. The serial number matches in three places, on the barrel, under wood grip and under the trigger guard. I was under the impression new model serial number started around 20,000+. It's definately 1800's I just don't know why it has such an early number.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

I agree with your questioning. A Remington Navy Model revolver bearing serial number 1498 falls within the "Beals" model category. It would actually fall into the category for "pre-contract" revolvers that would have been purchased from commercial inventories, prior to the first contract being let to E.Remington. If your revolver truly bears serial number 1498, it warrants a very close inspection to determine if it is a post factory build up, or a non Remington manufacture,

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
Jrm0rse

Post by Jrm0rse »

Hi all,
I was given an 1858 new model revolver from my grandfather years and years ago. I am just now trying to find any history on it that I can. After reading a few other posts, I have checked the serial number. The number on the bottom of the barrel is 75102. When I pulled the wood hand guard off, the number there was 75580. There is also initials on the handguard of rh or ryl? That is a little tougher to make out. I have attached a photo with the initials on it.

Does anyone have any information as far as when it was made, who it went to, or who the initials are?
Attachments
rem.JPG
rem.JPG (108.13 KiB) Viewed 25243 times
Matt Stewart

Post by Matt Stewart »

This is my first post. I have an 1858 Remington revolver that I got from my Grandfather several years ago. The serial number on the gun is 48228. The gun has a brass trigger guard and it has the letter "c" stamped on it. It also has an 8" octagon barrel. I have attempted to do some research on this gun, but can't find any specific information. Any information that anyone might have including what it might be worth would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
Eskilgh

Post by Eskilgh »

JrmOrse: Your cartouch is BH for Benjamin Hannis, principal sub inspector.

gundeus; I've got an NMN with serial 7. It has a 6-1/2 inch barrel. Picture in this thread: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... =2&t=21177
It has the serial number in all the right places.

Any information about these low serial numbers would be very interesting.

KR
Eskil
Best regard
Eskil
Revolver kind of guy :D
Mdo1967

Dating Remington New Army

Post by Mdo1967 »

I’ve recently purchased a Remington New Army .44; aka Model 1858. Serial number 60795 with many military acceptance marks as well as BH cartouche. I have been unable to find a website listing specific serial number ranges to production years, from other references I believe the production year is either 1863 or 1864, but I’m not sure. I’ve seen on this site individuals provide very specific “lot”details, if anyone has any similar information related to this serial number I would appreciate learning whatever you can share.

Thanks,

Matt
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Mdo: The only info I can find is 60795 was Delivered to the Ordnance Dept in March of 1865..........Jim