141 Action Bar Cover

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
JMD

141 Action Bar Cover

Post by JMD »

Hello all. I have a 141 in .35 Rem with a broken Action bar cover. besides this the rest of the rifle functions fine. My question is aside from preventing debris from entering the magazine, what other function dose the cover provide? Is it unsafe to use with the cover removed?

I also am hoping to have this rifle refurbished in the future. Any information on a gunsmith who has experience with the 141 would be appreciated.

Respectfully
JMD
Steven Swope

Re: 141 Action Bar Cover

Post by Steven Swope »

Try this post on the forum ..........

Model 14 & 141 Action Bar Cover

Post by nambujim » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:37 am
JMD

Post by JMD »

Thanks for the information Steven.
V/R
Joe
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I have a few 141 action bar covers but they aren't cheap and are getting extremely difficult to find. $75 plus shipping. Advise if you want one.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
taraaerie1

Post by taraaerie1 »

Do you still have the Remington 141 Action Bar Cover? If so, I would like to purchase one.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I have but one left and really don't want to part with it but will do so at the price I quoted $75 + $8 shipping in a small priority mail box.

Contact me at: nambujim@charlotte.twcbc.com

Regards!

Jim Peterson
Jim Peterson
taraaerie1

Post by taraaerie1 »

Yes, I would like to purchase it. I have sent you an email. Thank you.
Marilyn Yurchick (taraaerie1)
LeverActionGypsy

Post by LeverActionGypsy »

So how do you know which action bar cover your rifle needs if you are looking for a replacement online? If its not one size fits all, how many types are there exactly? Did they make different types based on year made or some other factor? I would like to find an action bar cover for my 1949 141 in 35 Remington
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Yours would take the last style which was smooth but had 1/8-3/16" wide
groove milled into it the entire length. The problem with your rifle is that it is probably in the 70,000 serial range which were some of the very worst to leave the plant, internal milling, and metal/metal fit was less than good.

Almost all of these late rifles must have had new assemblers because the underside of the action bar covers were fit my using a punch or nail set from under the action bar cover to the bottom of the barrel. These made substantial dimples in the action bar cover and many went all the way through making an impression on the bottom of the barrel.

My mail has been flooded with people looking for covers, thoughts of making them, and all I can tell them is "good luck". I think this stems from the individuals who ran the bid up on Ebay yesterday to $223.50 plus postage for a 141 action bar cover, seriously guys ......what were you thinking??

If you do find an untouched cover you might find it will take more than
a bit of fitting but them in might fit perfectly, its a crap shoot, and even worse on Model 14s which are VERY "parts specific". I have been working on these rifles for a long time (way too long) and like cartridge stops, action bar covers can be difficult to fit. If you don't know what you are
doing you can readily bend them or damage the flange.

On rifles that I repair that require a new cover I may have to try several
before I get the proper fit, some will fit with no problem, others may
require you to open up the hole in the flange giving it some leeway so that it can "float" into the proper position before tightening the screw.

The last 141 cover I sold about a month ago I took $98 for it delivered
and felt bad about it, now I just feel duped after seeing what that last
one went for on Ebay. I'll probably hold on to the ones I have, doubt anyone will be making them anytime soon. In the last 20 years I've
personally known a dozen quality machinists that tried, problem is they
have to be stamped out of flexible metal that is softer than the action bar itself. I did have one guy that formed one out of sheet aluminum for me to try, it lasted about five minutes. Like I told all the other really nice chaps that emailed me earlier, the above info is provided free of charge and is my opinion.

OH, forgive me I can't help myself but I can just see guys making these
out of milled 4140 steel, and wonder how long it would take ruin the old metal in the action bar itself. About 20 years ago someone made a bunch of the early Model 14 covers for Numrich but they would only fit guns under serial 30,000.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson